How to send email using an alias address?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MMR, Jul 13, 2008.

1. MMR macrumors member

Can anyone tell me is it possible to send emails using an alias address setup in mobile me? I must be possible surly? I never use my main address, only the aliases, (I don't want spam going there) aliases can always be deleted if they get over run with spam, the main address can never be deleted or changed so I never use it so as to keep it clean, but I can't figure out how to use the alias addresses in the iphone, please tell me there is a way.

2. drawds macrumors newbie

I had 2 friends asking me the same quesitons yesterday - I think the answer is - it's not possible unfortunately :(

3. MMR thread starter macrumors member

Man that is a pain, what are Apple thinking not allowing us to use our email addresses? WTF, I still can't believe there isn't a way, there must be.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From the web interface, I can choose any of my .Mac/MM aliases to send from (Account field).

5. MMR thread starter macrumors member

Yes but not from the iphone it seems.

6. Fulldark macrumors newbie

I've just had this problem myself.

Within Mail preferences, go to Accounts, the highlight your MobileMe account. There's a box to the right that says 'Email Addresses" Click in the box, scroll along and add your alias to it and they'll show up in the 'send from' box in a new mail.

You can also remove the new .me.com alias if you want to just have your old .mac.com visible, or visa versa.

Not sure how to use an alias from the iPhone yet though. If anyone knows....

Hope this works for you too

Edit: Actually, this works for the send address, but your main name stays the same. Bugger.

7. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

To use your email aliases again...

Do this - In your desktop mail preferences...

• In the Email Address field:
    Enter the email address you want to use in the From field when you send messages. You can enter multiple addresses separated by commas if you want to be able to select an address when you send a messages. For a .Mac account, enter your .Mac email address.

• In the Full Name field:
    Enter the full name you want displayed in outgoing messages. For example, Tom Clark.

8. MMR thread starter macrumors member

Sure I know how to do this on the Mac, its in the Iphone that I was talking about.

9. Fulldark macrumors newbie

I think we're talking about 2 different problems here.

The first is that the aliases are broken for now in MobileMe from Mail on the desktop. They'll send ok, but only using your main account name. Macsterguy's solution does work to a point, but as I use both my main account and my alias, I don't want to have to fiddle with the preferences everytime I send a mail.

And there's no way of sending email through an alias on the iPhone as of yet.

I've trawled the forums and it seems there's no answer to either just now.

Guess we're all waiting on Apple. Still, it was a *big* weekend... :confused:

10. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

11. UKmacman macrumors regular

There is a way

I have a similar problem and have a solution, but that has it's own problems at the moment.

I have a number of email addresses and have added them all to the iphone. I have also added a mobileme 'master' email. All my other emails forward to mobileme and I use that on the iphone.

Now all the accounts are on the iphone I can chose which one to send from when I reply to an email - so this sorts your problem.

The problem I have is that although I have turned all the other accounts to manual checkj, I sometimes keep getting double emails i.e. in mobileme account and the original email address it was sent to.

This is not always and I am hoping the system will settle down soon. But anyway it fixes the problem you guys have for now.

12. MMR thread starter macrumors member

Not really, its fine if you are wanting to use other email addresses that are not part of the MobileMe package, but if you want to use your MobileMe aliases then its not looking like its possible. which is a real pain as the whole idea was to keep your main MobileMe address unused and just use the Aliases, so if spam gets to much then your main address is still free from it, so you can just delete the alias that’s getting spam and then create a new one, but your main address is still free from spam, if the main address starts to get a lot of spam there will be nothing you can do, as you can't change or delete this.

13. bora684 macrumors newbie