How to send signal to external display on 2011 cMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

I am attempting to connect an external display to my early 2011 cMBP pro. I purchased a Cirago branded (not Apple) mini displayport to DVI single link adapter. I tried connecting two monitors through the mini displayport adapter, one with a DVI cable and the other with a VGA cable with VGA/DVI adapter. Nothing appeared on either monitor and the arrangement tab in system preferences>display did not appear. I attempted pressing and holding F5, F6, & F7 and closing the lid but nothing happened. Any thoughts on how I can get an external display to work?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Displays should automatically be detected in OS X. If you aren't seeing anything on the display, it is quite possible you have a faulty port, adapter, cable, or monitor. Have you tried hooking up the monitors to another machine?

3. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

The monitors work correctly when attached to my PC. Maybe it is the miniDP adapter? Is there anyway to verify this?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You would need to either plug in the adapter to another machine or try another adapter.