How to send "snapchat" images

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Iamgort, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Iamgort macrumors regular

how do we send the "self destructing" images in ios8 like snapchat?

2. Iamgort thread starter macrumors regular

That's weird I thought that was one of the hyped up features in the first ios8 keynote.

3. helicopter96 macrumors member

Are you referencing the quick picture-taking feature in Messages? Once you get iOS 8, go to a message thread and then look at the right side of the top of the keyboard, you will see a camera icon. Press it and the camera will appear. You can either slide up to take one(you'll see what I mean when you try this out) or you can just press the button that looks like a camera to send it(you can also take a video by pressing the camera and sliding and holding to the right) The images are supposed to disappear within 2 minutes by default, but you can change this setting to keep these pictures forever if you like. Additionally, not sure if this is a bug or not, but I've only seen this feature work with iMessage users in my experience. Enjoy iOS 8!

4. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

It would be neat if Apple actually did more than Snapchat like disallow for screenshots since Apple has full OS control. Though I don't think Apple is in the business of trying to one up snapchat.

5. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

6. smizzle macrumors regular

smizzle

They added self-destructing video and audio messages, that's probably what you are thinking of. I think the self-destruction aspect is more of a space saving feature than a privacy one though.

7. Iamgort thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I was going to send my wife a screenshot of our starbucks login from 1password and wanted to set it to self destruct. :D

Oh well.

8. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

Why would an iOS 8 iMessage feature work with devices without iMessage? Think for a second lol

9. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I'm not your wife but you can send it to me;)

----------

All the features for messages they explained are in reference to iMessage. They obviously would like to push their own platform!

10. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Might be late now but the Telegram app lets you do this. It's an actual messaging app but you can have the whole thread self destruct. They claim, as one of the features, that these "secret chat" messages are end to end, they don't go through the servers so supposedly more secure.

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Well that's impossible. It has to go through a server somewhere.
    There's already a great alternative out there. It's called snapchat.

12. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Well feel free to brush up on their info. I'm no expert on their tech. It's just a nice messaging app w/ nice features. And snapchat is awful.

13. helicopter96 macrumors member

Not sure why it wouldn't work with all devices, but in my experience I was only able to send it to iMessage devices, haven't tried with the GM yet.