How to send text to phone from macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

I have a late 2011 cMBP running 10.8.1. Is it possible to send a text message to an android phone with the messages app? I was able to select the phone number from my contact list but when I attempt to send something I get an error that the number is "not registered with iMessage". Is there anyway around this? Does messages only work when sending a message to an iPhone?

2. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

iMessage only works with iOS devices. I know that here in Korea, the telcos have apps that let you send SMS from a web app, but those are custom-made.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Regular text messages are easy.

iMessages, I don't use.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope:
    http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html#messages
    You can only send to a number from a device with a number. Your MBP doesn't have a number.

5. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

If I can't send messages from my cMBP because it doesnt have a number, than what really is the point of the messages app?

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

iMessage obviously only works with idevices. Of course you can't send to your android phone anymore than you can send a BBM to an iPhone.

7. Idefix macrumors 6502

You can send SMS from Skype. You'll obviously have to buy some Skype credit, no way around that.

8. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I register an iPhone with messages? I'm attempting to send a text to my iPhone with my cMBP but I still receive the same error message.

9. stevelam macrumors 65816

Are you running iOS 5 on your iPhone?

10. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm running 5.1

11. LeeM macrumors 6502a

12. satirev macrumors 6502

app called "bigphone" lets you send SMS from your comp.

13. stevelam macrumors 65816

well it should already be using imessages then. can you send messages (not sms) through imessage on your phone? is your number attached to an apple id?

14. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

My phone is attached to an apple id, I believe this is how I pay for apps. How do I check if my number is attached to an apple id?

My phone can send and receive iMessages.

15. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The rumor is that the release of iOS 6 and OS X 10.8.2 will allow Macs, iPads, and iPod Touches to receive iMessages that are sent to your phone number. As of now, the only device that will receive iMessages is your iPhone. However, you can still send messages to phone numbers from a non-iPhone device (although as stated previously, these messages are through the iMessages protocol, not SMS, and thus they can only be received by Apple devices that support iMessage).

To check what email address(es) your phone is receiving iMessages at, go to Settings > Messages and scroll down a bit. You should see a button that reads "Receive At" and then it will say some number of addresses. Tap on it. Your Apple ID will be displayed, as well as your phone number. If you have other email addresses that you'd like to use, you can go ahead and add those.

One other thing to note on this screen. If you have multiple addresses that you're receiving at, "Caller ID" will be displayed at the bottom. This doesn't affect phone calls or normal SMS text messaging, but it sets what people will see when you send a message through iMessage. By default, your iPhone's phone number will be the caller ID (and on your Mac, iPad, etc., it will be your Apple ID email address). Setting all of your devices to the same caller ID can help to ensure that messages will be received on all devices, because messages sent from the iPhone with an email address as the caller ID will then be replied to at that email address (which all devices have access to). Granted, if people send you a message to your phone number, then only the iPhone will receive it (at least, at this point in time). The caller ID setting does not affect what address or phone number you receive messages at - it only affects what other devices will see you as (and reply to).

I hope that wasn't too confusing, and that it helps.