How to set 3rd party keyboard as default?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shyam09, May 24, 2015.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I just switched from Android, and so I really miss being able to set a 3rd party default keyboard and just have it work.

I know I can change the default keyboard by going into setting > general > keyboards and adding a new keyboard and moving it to the top to make it "first." I initially installed SwiftKey and then decided to try out NIN.

Anyhow, what I noticed was that if I bring up the keyboard, it would rarely be NIN (even after I change the keyboard by clicking the globe icon). It would either be the stock keyboard or SwiftKey.

So I moved NIN to the top, followed by the emoticon, and then stock, and then swiftkey. But when I bring up the keyboard, it's either stock or swiftkey. If I change the keyboard via the globe icon, it brings up the emoticon keyboard, and clicking the 'abc' on the keyboard returns it to the NIN keyboard.

So I removed the stock keyboard, left the keyboard order as - NIN, emoticon, swiftkey. But every once in a while, swiftkey pops back up. I could remove swiftkey, but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong in setting up the keyboard.

Like I said, I came from Android, so it was very easy to switch keyboards whenever I needed to. But with iOS, I'm not sure if it's a bug or I'm doing it wrong.

TL;DR: How do you set a default keyboard when you have multiple keyboards?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unfortunately with iOS 8 being the first iOS version to open up and support things like that, not all of the kinks have been worked out just yet.