How to set a Gmail account on Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidcafor, Jun 5, 2014.

1. davidcafor macrumors member

davidcafor

Good Afternoon!

I'm giving a try to Mail on OSX to manage my Gmail account (I don't want to install more apps).
    I've set my gmail account by default and I've got a lot of problems...
    When I delete a message on Mail App it doesn't appear in the trash gmail server.
    When I move a message to "important" folder to keep it for the future it doesn't appear on the server.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using it as a IMAP because I want that If I delete or read a message on the map it will be affected on the server.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Open Mail then click "Mail" --> Preferences --> Accounts. Delete the Gmail account.

Then click the + and choose "Google". Enter your credentials. Do not choose "Add Other Mail Account..."! Also go to the "Mailbox Behavior" tab and ensure the boxes are appropriately ticked.

3. davidcafor thread starter macrumors member

davidcafor

What does it mean "appropiately ticked"? All are ticked by default

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is what you want! Did you select "Google" or "Other Mail Account" when setting it up. The appropriate option is "Google".

5. davidcafor thread starter macrumors member

davidcafor

I will try to explain better my problem.

I have to accounts on Mail app (OSX):

- iCloud that works great

- Gmail: this doesn't work well or not in the way that I expect. For example, now I have received an email. i open it and move it to the google important folder (on Mail app) and in the google server appears on the important folder. Thats great!
    By the other way, if I deleted a message on Mail app. Then in the google server doesn't appear in the trash folder.
    The same happens when I send an email, they don't appear on gmail server in the "sent" folder.

In the past I've read that Google IMAP requires a configuration to work well because Gmail and Mail doesn't manage the IMAP as well.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I personally do not use Gmail so I am having a hard time trying to troubleshoot. I was offering what advice I could remember. Someone may chime in with better expertise. Sorry I couldn't help!

7. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Mail.app handles IMAP just fine. Do you have these items selected?

Attached Files:

8. NukeIT macrumors regular

I have heard people say that Gmail doesn't work well with the standard Mac mail app. However I have never experienced any issue with it at all.

9. davidcafor thread starter macrumors member

davidcafor

Yes! have you changed something in the Gmail web Options? I just set as IMAP