Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
As I mature further, the information I take in tends to get higher and higher. Passwords, usernames, information, etc etc. I've created a .numbers document with a lot of my usernames and passwords for various websites / any information I need. This file has no lock on it, so if anyone would be able to get into my computer, they would be able to get that file with a little perseverance or a little spotlight search. I've tried going to "get info" on the file and tinkering with different options there with no luck. I've googled it, and the only (somewhat) promising thing that came up was to use Disk Utility and create a disk image. It states that is best for transferring through a flash drive. Since I am updating this almost weekly, I do not think that is the best solution.....

Is there a program, or a setting which would enable me to set a password on a file(s) or folder(s)?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If it is just to password protect a file containing all your other passwords, I'd invest in something like 1Password.

Other than that, the encrypted disk image is the way to go.

deorg

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
Ive heard of some kind of widget that allow you to put small amount of text data on to this, and is password protected... as you may know if you spotlight the stickies widget it wont come up because spotlight wont recognize it ... try using some protected widget in the apple download page...

and it would be very clever not making the header title as MY PASSWORDS or MY SECRET DATA

cheers

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
An encrypted disk image is the way to go. Just mount it when you need access and eject it when you're done.

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
encrypted disk image

An encrypted disk image is the way to go. Just mount it when you need access and eject it when you're done.

^
+1 for encrypted disk image

Easy to do. Great protection. Just remember to select an effective password. As with all encryption, it is only as good as your password.

m&c

porg1969

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
San Francisco
password protection

Another way tp place a password is to open the document you want protected. Hit print, command-p, then press save to PDF. then hit security options, and viola- you create a password for that document, picture, etc. It's fast and easy!

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Using a disk image is much easier than it seems at first. The advantage to this method is that you can put the image on something external if you desire so that you have an additional back up of the information.

Another option would be an encryption program like TrueCrypt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.