How to set default settings for all files and folders in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by narja87, Dec 11, 2009.

1. narja87 macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I'm pretty new to Mac and I'm currently quite confused about how to set default settings for all my files and folders in Snow Leopard. Specifically, I would like for all the icons in Finder windows (and preferably also in the "Documents" stack in the Dock) to automatically be displayed as large icons and also for all my files and folders to be arranged by Kind - all of this in "List View". In "Icon View", all of these things do work (except for in the "Documents" stack in the Dock).

In "List View", when I select "Use as Defaults" in the "View Options" panel (View>Show View Options), it does not seem to apply my settings automatically to all my folders and files. Likewise, when I right-click in a Finder window and select "Arrange by > Kind", it only seems to arrange by Kind in that particular folder.

I have read several other threads, but none of the solutions seem to work for me. One thread suggested that I hold "alt" after I have right-clicked so that the option "KEEP arranged by" shows up, but this does not seem to happen in "List View".

If it is at all possible, how can I get default settings/auto-arranging to work in "List View"? And how can I get it to work for the stacks in the Dock as well?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Stacks - secondary click on the stack (right or control click) and select Grid under View content as

Finder windows - In List View, Show View Options (Command-J)
    There are only two icon sizes to choose from. Check Kind in Show Columns. Close SVO and click the Kind heading. This will re-order everything by Kind. Click again to reverse the order.

Make sure "Always open in Icon or Column or Cover Flow View" is not checked in SVO for any window. Open the top level window and adjust settings, then click the Use as Defaults button.

Yeah, the right click Arrange is only for the active window. Post your results, especially if something still isn't right.