How to set iPhone up for a new owner?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by StinkyDonk, Jul 21, 2015.

1. StinkyDonk macrumors regular

I'm giving my iPhone 4S to my mum. It's currently on iOS 7.something. I don't want to upgrade it to iOS 8 for her (which she's not bothered about ) & make it more laggy than what it is.

She'll probably want one or two of the apps currently on there, but they were bought with my account, so i don't know if that's possible when she signs in on her account on there.

Basically she'll be wanting everything erased - texts, emails, photos & videos, app settings (such as like my facebook login).

I guess it would be just easier to erase all apps & let her install the ones she wants on her own account.

But how do you erase the phone but without having it updated to iOS 8?

I did a bit of reading on it & the results were conflicting - some people said it would require an update to the latest iOS, but others said you can erase it & keep it on the iOS that is currently installed.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Make sure you disable Activation Lock by disabling Find My iPhone at Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone and then just erase everything and reset all settings at Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. All that happens is that everything is erased and all settings are reset and ready to be setup with a new user (keeping the same version of iOS that is already there).