How to set locations for Reminders?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inspirations365, Oct 5, 2011.

1. inspirations365 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I'm wondering, when I set reminders and want to attach it to a specific location, how do I set the location initially? Like work, home, etc.?

2. Lopes macrumors 6502

I installed the GM last night and no such option appears to exists in Reminders for me. It's just vanished!

3. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Do you both have locations services activated in the settings app?

I'm looking at my iPhone 4 running the GM now and locations is there and i've used it to remind me of some work i had to do when i got home from college

4. Lopes macrumors 6502

***FIGURED IT OUT!!!***

I have my mobileme and exchange email setup for work on my iPhone. In the Mail, Contacts, Calendars part of the system preferences, scroll down all the way to the bottom to the Reminders preferences. Mine was set to make tasks by default to my EXCHANGE account. Switching it to "on my iPhone" opened up the location option within the Reminders app!

In the app, tap the upper left 3 line icon, and select "on my iPhone" to keep just that list active.

5. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

Not quite the issue I was having, but let me explain what I just tried.

I was at one particular location of employment, I have Google as my exchange server. I added that address as a contact to my address book (which was then pushed to my phone). I then set a reminder as a test for when I left that location. My phone did not alert me when I left that location, but it did move the alert to the completed section. Not sure what's going on.

That's why I asked about where to put the location. Do I add that to my address book? I never had an issue with Notifications not asking for a location if I wanted one, just didn't know where to go to add the location to be set in the app. Did that make any sense?

I'm glad you got it working though.

6. deanfx4u macrumors regular

After you add a reminder or task, don't you just go back to the reminder and add a location?

7. pingloss macrumors newbie

I can't get this to work at all unless the feature doesn't work on a 3GS :confused:

8. Vroem macrumors member

I'm on a 3GS. I don't have the location in Reminders. I don't have it in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars either.

9. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

3GS here, don't have it either. Only how long back iCloud should sync my reminders under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars".

10. spblat, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Bingo. I didn't understand this till now. Some sync services support reminders that include location and some don't. I had my Exchange account syncing reminders. I turned that off in the settings for that exchange account. Then I turned on reminders syncing in my iCloud account. Now I have location based reminders. Thanks Lopes.

[​IMG]

11. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

But you have an iPhone 4, no?

12. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I do indeed.

13. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Well then, congratulations!

Though this must mean that us 3GS users are left out of it. I honestly didn't expect photo retouching to work on 3GS (and didn't care for it), and that showed up, but I was really excited for the location based reminders which is nowhere to be found. I haven't heard of anyone with a 3GS to have that feature, just hints about it being available in iOS 5 beta 1 or something.

Has anyone found the location based reminders working on 3GS? Can we hope for it being reactivated in 5.1 maybe?

14. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not sure, I know the GPS was substantially improved with the 4 so that may be part of the reason it's not available on the 3GS.

15. Jantelagen, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

I'm getting more and more frustrated. This video shows how location obviously works on a 3GS (look at the form factor). Gah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3R573IpkRw&feature=related

EDIT 1: Dear God, this too! And on an iPod touch, too = no 3G, so that's out of the question when it comes to requirements for location based reminders.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gupD5fFb0Z0

EDIT 2: This is not funny.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMnYYGC_3Rg