how to set Mail to mark hotmail messages as "read"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by merminshank., May 4, 2009.

1. merminshank. macrumors newbie

hi everybody

im using Mail to recieve my hotmail messages and im trying to find a way to avoid having a hotmail inbox with hundreds of unread emails since they're all being sent to Mail.

with thunderbird, when the messages are copied from hotmail they are automatically marked as read so when you sign into hotmail or msn you dont recieve a message notifying you of having 500 unread messages...only the amount of unread messages you have in thunderbird.

since ive found a lot of similarities between Mail and thunderbird, surely there's a way to set Mail to behave the same way.

let me know what you guys think.
    cheers

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

open up mail's preferences and go to the rules tab. Then make a new rule to mark all incoming mails sent to @hotmail as read.

3. merminshank. thread starter macrumors newbie

ive found a way to mark all mail in my Mail app as read as it is received but i cant find a way to make a rule that makes all mail in my hotmail inbox marked as read

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Oh, I skimmed your original post and misunderstood what you were asking. If you go to mail.app's prefs and select the hotmail account in the sidebar, then click the advanced tab, check on the "remove message from server" option. I'm pretty sure this will do what you want and mark the message as read, and not actually delete the message off hotmail. But I can't say that with 100% certainty because I only know about using maill.app with gmail, and this is the way it works when you do it with gmail.

5. merminshank. thread starter macrumors newbie

yaaa it deleted all my messages from hotmail

so it looks like it cant be done

6. shmeffrey macrumors member

Has anyone found out how to do this? I know before I went to POP Mac Mail used to do this. Also since I switched to POP I cannot download the e-mails that are in different folders on my hotmail account.