Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. In the past, when I used TeXShop to write documents, Preview from the Mac OS/X was used by the system to open pdf documents. For unknown reason, it seems that Adobe program is being used to open the pdf documents recently. Anybody knows how to set the default pdf viewer to Preview? Thanks.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Find a PDF, right click, get info

CaptureOn2010-11-13at8.23.24PM-73442.png

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Since the pdf document I created often crashes Sierra, I would like to set the default viewer to Adobe Acrobat. I followed the steps suggested by Corndog5595 to change the default from Preview to Adobe Acrobat. However, after typesetting in TeXShop, an updated pdf document is still displayed using Preview. Know anyway to set it to Adobe Acrobat permanently until further notice?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I think there may be two separate issues here.
  1. Which application is set by default to open PDF files? (Get Info for a PDF file, select your preferred viewer, then Change All to open with your selected app).
  2. Which engine is used to preview files from within TeXShop? TeXShop, I think, uses the same engine as Preview (so a file that displays incorrectly in Preview is not likely to display correctly within TeXShop's preview window). I'm not aware of any way to change this setting from within TeXShop (but if this is the issue, you may be able to find help here).

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks. I already set Adobe Acrobat to be the default app to open PDF files. However, when TeXShop opens a just generated pdf file, even it is displayed in the OS to be opened by Acrobat by default, the file is opened as a Preview. I guess I need to set Acrobat as the default viewer within TeXShop. Anyknow knows how to do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.