How to set-up 2 shared systems with 4 family members

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miata, Feb 10, 2011.

1. miata macrumors 6502

What is the best way to set-up multiple users with multiple computers?

I already have multiple users set-up, but I want to allow anybody to access to their files and logins no matter which computer they log into.

Ideas?

2. brandone macrumors member

Home or Office?

3. miata thread starter macrumors 6502

Home family.

4. brandone macrumors member

The only way to do EXACTLY what you want to do would require a server solution making use of Open Directory. Open Directory is essentially a service that store user information and manages policys and permissions on your network. This solution is exactly what you want, but is complicated and expensive.

If you are simply trying to enable redundant file sharing across multiple computers you should invest in a network shared external hard drive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136346
    This hard drive would be accessible from any computer on your network. You can simply make folders on the drive with the users name.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

5. miata thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks brandone. Sounds like the NAS apprach makes the most sense.

I have an Airport Extreme connected to a USB drive spare with a spare drive bay. Is the idea to link each of the users to this external drive? I want the bookmarks, preferences, documents, iPhoto, Photobooth crap, etc to all be accessible from the NAS. Will that work?

6. brandone macrumors member

Yes, the idea is to link each user to the external drive. However, with this approach, it is for data access, not preference redundancy. With that said, you can easily save photos and documents to the network store. This way each user will have there files with them at any location on the network. As far as bookmarks and preferences, this is going to vary from computer to computer. I believe that google has a way to store your bookmarks to a cloud thus having the ability to access them from any computer.
    https://www.google.com/bookmarks/l
    So after you setup the network drive, create folders on it:
    User1
    User2
    User3
    User4
    Etc.
    Where UserX is the name of a particular family member.
    In Finder, you can add a network share by going to "Go" ----> "Connect to Server..." ----> Enter Server Address i.e. smb://dnsname/UserX or smb://192.168.1.10/UserX ----> Connect
    If you need further help, feel free to send me a PM.
    -Brandon