How to set up 2 Time Capsules in separate rooms?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by icapricorn, Jan 3, 2011.

1. icapricorn macrumors member

I have two Time Capsules, TC1 and TC2. TC1 is the base unit, connected to the modem and broadcasting a wireless network from my bedroom. I want to set up the second Time Capsule, TC2, to pick up the wireless signal in the living room. In that way, I can connect my TV through an Ethernet cable directly to TC2.

I keep screwing this up. TC1 is set up to "create a wireless network," which it does. The security I'm using is WEP transitional, for 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n.

Currently TC2 is set up as a bridge, but it only works when it's tethered directly through an Ethernet cable coming from one of the LAN ports on TC1 into the the singular WAN port on TC2. And it only works when TC2's wireless mode is "Create a wireless network." I've tried various bridge/wireless configurations but nothing quite works. I consulted Apple's pdf on "Designing Airport Networks 10-5" but the information on creating a WDS network doesn't apply. When I try to make TC1 the base unit for the WDS network, I don't get that option.

So I would appreciate a step by step guide on how to get my TC2 working in the living room.

Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I had this working in my last house with my Time Capsule connecting wirelessly to the WDS network Airport Extreme. My iMac, TiVo, and ATV1 were connected to the TC.

As I recall I had the TC set to connect to and extend the network.

If you can post screenshots of both configs we might be able to help.

B

3. icapricorn, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

icapricorn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, balamw. I was never able to set up a WDS Network, as there was no option for WDS in the Wireless config window for TC1. That option only appeared for TC2, which I believe is suppose to be the remote. But without a WDS base, there seemed no point.

I did try "extend network" in the wireless config window for TC2. And put in all the info for the working wireless network that TC1 was sending out. What happened was TC2 turned green if it was connected to TC1, but neither time capsules would work, and the wireless network was useless. I was unable to connect to the web. When I removed the ethernet cable that was connecting the TC1 Lan to the TC2 Wan, TC2 went constant amber, and TC1 was again able to generate my wireless network. However, TC2 no longer showed up in the Airport Utility.

I'm not sure what screens you want to see, re config. There are many in the Airport utility.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If I knew what I was looking for I'd know what to ask for ;)

Let me see if I have the backups of the configuration files from I used back then...

B

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Open up Airport Utility, select TC1 and select Manual Setup
    Click Airport->Wireless and check the "Allow this network to be extended" button.

Now, select TC2, Manual Setup
    Click Airport->Wireless and change Wireless Mode to Extend a Wireless Network.

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I messed around with a similar set-up for many, many hours. I think I ended up with what swiftaw suggested. I'll check when I'm home...

7. icapricorn thread starter macrumors member

Swiftaw, thank you for the suggestion, but as described above that didn't work for me.

TC1 was, and has always been, checked for "allow this network to be extended." And when TC2 was put into "extend a wireless network" it went amber as soon as it was disconnected from TC1.

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I have the following set up, using an APX as my main base station, and then the Time Capsule extending. Hope it helps?

Attached Files:

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Just for the record, unless you really have to use WEP, do yourself a favour and use something stronger, like WPA(2).

It's a matter of minutes to get into a WEP network.

10. icapricorn, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

Thanks Peskaa for all the work. I will have to study this slowly and give it a try. Wait a minute. I just checked the wireless tab for TC1, which I want to be my base station. I don't get the option to "participate in a WDS network." The only options I see there, for wireless mode, are "create a wireless network,""extend a wireless network" and "off." What do I have to change about TC1 to get the "participate in a WDS network" option? The only major difference I see when I check your summary for the APX is that you're using WPA2 security. It's that what's holding this up?

And thanks, Transporteur. I will do some research on WPA2.

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I would definitely move to WPA(2), if only to remove a variable. From memory, I actually set up my base stations using the wizard rather than manually - once it was working I then went in and tweaked (channels etc).

So, I would recommend selecting TC1 in AirPort Utility, going to Base Station in the menu bar, then Assist Me. Out of the two options chose to reset to factory settings and set up. This should enable you to get the correct options.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

From memory, I actually turned off all encryption to remove a variable until I got it all working the way I wanted and then moved to WPA2. I also could not get it to work with the wizard and had to manually tweak settings.

FWIW I keep my old 802.11g Airport Express around to occasionally create a separate WDS network that my kids' DSes can connect to. Stupid Nintendo and their lack of support for WPA.

B

13. icapricorn, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

Just got a clue. Read on one of the forums that in order for "Participate in a WDS Network" to appear on TC1, I have to hold down the option key when I click on the drop down box.

However, there's a down side to setting up a WDS network:

Full discussion is here:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11332570&#11332570

Step by Step instructions here:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2355832&tstart=0

Now all of this information applies to connecting an "n" base station to a "g" remote. Since I want to connect two "n" stations, I wonder if I would still suffer a slow down because as stated in the quoted section, WDS is an old "g"-based technology.