Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomjonesrocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
I posted this question on Apple's official forums and could not get any responses. The Airport Extreme has been a joy to setup and use but have made no progress on setting up a shared disk.

I just picked up an early 2009 Airport Extreme and wanted to set up the disk through the USB port. When in Airport Utility, I can see the drive connected under the "Disks" tab--but this is as far as I can get setting it up. None of my PCs can see this drive at this stage--but the Airport Extreme obviously knows there's a drive connected.

What is the next step?

ANY help appreciated--have been at a total standstill with this.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
click on computer to bring up explorer. Then click on Map Network Drive. There just type \\192.168.1.1\XXXXXX where X is the name u gave your drive and connect. Enter your username and password (whatever you have it set on Airport Utility).

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,241

tomjonesrocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
click on computer to bring up explorer. Then click on Map Network Drive. There just type \\192.168.1.1\XXXXXX where X is the name u gave your drive and connect. Enter your username and password (whatever you have it set on Airport Utility).

No luck so far--am getting a message to check the name of my drive.

Are you setting this up to share over the WAN or Bonjour over the internet? Bonjour requires a wide area hostname, which confused me.

Also, did you populate the Workgroup and WINS Server information? I don't know what this is--but I put in the network workgroup.

Thanks!

Sti-R

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
hey guys i'm sorry for bringing up an old post again, but i seem to be having BSOD problems on my windows 7 machine with my airport extreme and air disk. my windows 7 laptops can see the network drive just fine in My Computer and even access the files, but sometimes the computer randomly disconnects or even gives me the BSOD screen resulting in a force restart of my computer. this same problem happens to both my windows 7 laptop. this is the newest airport extreme with firmware version 7.5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.