How to set up an external HD to stream to ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by codyPT, Apr 4, 2008.

1. codyPT macrumors newbie

My movies library is growing fast and soon I will run out of 160G on my ATV. I read on the forum that some people are streaming their content from an external drive. How would I set this up?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

connect an external drive to your Mac or PC. Put all or some of your content there. Point your iTunes libraries to that data or to some of it if that is the case. Leave iTunes running on your Mac or PC. Stream what you want whenever you want.

As far as connecting an external drive to an Apple TV for extra storage at that end. It is not totally impossible but not easy either. What you would have to do is rather complicated and would either involve leaving the case open with the drive connected to it, or replacing the internal drive with a larger one. Either way, you have to hack it first.

3. codyPT thread starter macrumors newbie

how to point iTunes library?

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

5. codyPT thread starter macrumors newbie

just the movies

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

7. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

You can't have a differerent place for movies in one iTunes library. Set your Apple TV to Auto Sync and you never have to worry about it filling up. It does all the work for you and moves newer data to the hard drive and older data stays on the PC or MAC but you can stream it if you should select it to watch. You won't know the difference. Its all done in the background.