How to set up as new iPhone and update without erasing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Risco, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

My mate has an iPhone, all I want to do is update the firmware without it syncing or deleting anything. When I plug it in it asks to restore from my backup or set up as new iPhone.

I cannot lose any of my mates data, especially contacts and photos. So is there a way to hook it up, set it up as new without erasing everything.

2. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

I was going to say just restore from backup but if you are updating HIS iPhone on YOUR computer there is no way to keep his data without some serious "hacking"

3. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

What about if I make a new account on my computer for windows. Then copy the pictures to my computer. Could I then set up as a new iPhone and copy the contacts before it erases everything?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You don't need to do any hacks.

Get sharepod. This will enable you to copy all music, ringtones, and pics off of the phone.

Use funambol or gmail to sync your contacts online.

Sign in with his iTunes account and connect the phone via USB. Right click on the iPhone in the left pane to transfer purchases. Then right click and backup the iPhone. The backup will have your contacts, calendar, game saves, app settings, texts, etc. Restore the phone to the new firmware and restore from the backup. Done.

Be advised that you should sync the iPhone on his personal computer ASAP.