How to set up external hd for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iNeed, Apr 16, 2010.

1. iNeed macrumors newbie

hey everyone. i just ordered my first mac (mbp 13") and am really excited. I currently have an external hd i use with my old pc laptop and wish to use it as a time machine back up device for my mbp. i still have a lot of files on there (itunes, homework, etc...) that i want to move to my mbp hd first. then format my hd so that i can use it with time machine. could anyone give me a tutorial (here or a link to youtube) that would explain how i should go about doing this? i would appreciate it.:D

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

- plug the HD in (via USB or whatever your particular external uses)
    - copy desired files to new MBP
    - using disk utility (found in applications/utilities/disk utility) format the external HD to Mac OS Extended (journaled)
    - wait a bit for the formatting to take place, then tell OS X that you want to use it for time machine

3. iNeed thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply. would i then just tell itunes to import my folder from the mbp hd after i move it there from the external drive? will that import my music, movies, and iphone apps into itunes?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no, you need to hold down :eek:ption: when opening up iTunes - that lets you select your library etc. then you will be fine :) make sure you put the library in the correct spot though!

5. iNeed thread starter macrumors newbie

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats up to you lol! if you want to store it on your laptop - copy everything to it. if you want to store everything on your ext hard drive - copy everuthing there lol.