How to set up home network and backup with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Norsolaar, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Norsolaar macrumors newbie

Hello everybody. I would like som help with something I’ve been trying to figure out for some time but haven’t really succeeded in achieving so I’m hoping someone on here can help.

What I want is a solution where my iTunes- and Aperture-libraries and my other media (like movies) are stored somewhere else than on my mac so I won’t have to think about space. I also want an automated backup, preferably through time-machine, of my MBA and of the iTunes-library, my Aperture-library and my master photos.

What I have:
    • Mackbook Air i7, 256
    • Apple Tv 2 (jailbroken, running atv flash)
    • Time Capsule 2 TB
    • 2 external usb-drives (300 gb).

How I use it today:
    • iTunes and Aperture-libraries (with masters) are stored on my MBA.
    • Movies and other media are stored on the Time Capsule so it sort of acts just like a media-server. I don't use time-machine with it.
    • Backup is done with the external hard drives

What I would like:
    1. I want my iTunes-media and Aperture-library to be stored somewhere else than on my mac.
    2. I want a simple way of doing backup of my music, photos and my MBA.
    3. If possible I would like to be able to share the itunes-library with other macs in the household.
    4. Keep the other media (movies) stored as I have it today, i.e on the Time Capsule.

I’m a bit noob when it comes to home-networking and I haven’t really grasped the concept of «masters» in Aperture. I just want a simple solution that is all. Can someone please help me?

2. Norsolaar thread starter macrumors newbie

Since it’s been a few weeks I’m shamelessly bumping this one. I really am at loss on how to setup things the way I want them. Please can somebody give me some help on this topic?

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I don't suggest you rely on the TC internal storage for backup. I lost all my data when my first gen 500 GB TC power supply died. Apple replaced the unit for free but the replacement arrived empty and my data was gone forever. My daughter's Mac mini died during the week that I was waiting for the replacement TC and all her files were gone f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

This is what I do. I know it's overkill but I've lost too much data too many times to do any less.

1 - I use my TC with an external USB drive formatted HFS+. I point my TM backups to that drive and only store stuff on the TC internal drive I don't mind losing. I only allow TM to back up over 802.11n or gigabit ethernet.

2 - I purchased a second NAS drive. I have a Synology DS212J with a 2TB WD drive inside. Together they cost over $300 but if I ever have a problem, I don't have to mail my data back to Synology to get it fixed.

3 - I don't use my TC as a router. I know it can do that but I purchased an Airport Extreme after I already had a TC because I wanted the "guest network" feature. One plus side of using your TC as your router is that I've heard Apple uses your TC as a "local cache" for software updates so they don't have to come all the way from Apple every time. I don't know if this feature works if the TC isn't set up as your router.

4 - I use Crashplan. I use the paid version that backs up to their servers. This saved my wife's data when her HDD in her Mac mini got wiped and the TM backup somehow was corrupted and couldn't be restored.

5 - I keep bigger files on an attached firewire drive and I can run a TM backup to the thing if I want to. The FW drive is where I keep my 200 GB of photos, video rips, iMovie data and so forth. I also keep my movies, photos and music on my NAS drive.

What you need is the following:

1 - A router (might be provided by your ISP)
    2 - wifi 802.11n or better. DON'T back up over anything slower than 802.11n
    3 - gigabit wired ethernet - a must for TM network backups to go smoothly and quickly
    4 - A TC (optional but you already own one) I like that you are using it as a media server. Good choice as long as you have that stuff copied elsewhere as a backup if it ever dies.
    5 - A second network drive (optional but nice to have)
    6 - A usb or FW drive
    7 - A separate backup strategy. Either use crashplan free to a friend's computer or pay for crashplan's cloud based backup. Only back up your documents not all your photos and music. This stuff will be backed up to both your TC and your second NAS drive in the hope that both won't fail at the same time.