How to set up Internet Sharing using wireless air card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by redwarrior, Aug 29, 2008.

1. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have a Verizon Wireless aircard (wireless modem UM150), and am trying to set up Internet sharing so that my daughter can share my Internet connection.

We are both using OS X (10.5.4). I have enabled Internet Sharing with my aircard using airport and have the arrow in the airport indicator, so I think that part is working properly. But when I use my daughter's computer and try to access the network, it sees it and connects to it, but then it drops it immediately.

I would appreciate any help. I never touched a mac until 6 months ago, so please don't use too much tech-speak.:eek:

2. djtrippin macrumors newbie

Do you have encryption turned on? If so, do you have the right encryption information setup on your daughter's computer? Thats the first thing that comes to mind if her mac can see your mac's broadcast, connects and immediately disconnects,

3. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have no security set up at all. I knew that might be an issue so I didn't want to have to wonder if I had a problem there.

Any other ideas?:)

4. djtrippin macrumors newbie

Make sure you daughter's computer is setup to receive an IP via DHCP.

What models are the two computers? Is your mac a laptop? Sharing over airport in portables can generate an underpowered network. How far apart is your daughters computer from yours? Sharing via airport is not going to give you the same quality results as you would get from a wireless router.

5. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Thanks! I'm on my MBP and she has a MB. The computers are about 2 feet apart. I will check on her settings to receive an IP later today when I get her computer back out. (I want this for times when we're traveling in the car or in a hotel room.)

6. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Yes, her computer is set up to receive an IP via DHCP. It says it's connected to my network but won't connect to the Internet. A step-by-step guide would be nice.:eek: There are so many options, I seriously haven't a clue what I am doing. I'm about ready to give up.

Is it certain that it can be done? I just don't want to waste my time.

Thanks to everyone.:)

Also, could I receive the signal from the wireless modem on my MBP and connect the two computers via Ethernet and share the Internet that way? I don't have an Ethernet cable now, but that could be an option. I just don't understand why I could share via Ethernet and not via airport.:confused:

7. djtrippin macrumors newbie

It should work fine. It's difficult to trouble shoot networking when I cannot see what is going on, but from everything you have said thus far, it should just work. It can be shared over ethernet as well. It may be worthwhile to try and share it across ethernet, that way if it works, the problem is isolated to airport settings.

8. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Ok, cool, I appreciate your response. Unfortunately I don't have easy access to a cable, and at home, no signal. I realize how extremely difficult it is to troubleshoot networking issues without being right there, so thank you! It will be Wednesday before I get a chance to test this out with a cable.

Thanks for letting me know that it should just work; inspires me to continue.

Thanks again! Until Wednesday....:)

9. taffey macrumors newbie

Telus Sierra Aircard net connecttionand Internet sharing not working. BMP OSX 10.5.5

Hello,

Just tried all of the suggestion and I am in the exact same situation.

The guest computer connects successfully but get kicked of the Wifi link. Have tried with many different configurations but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.