How to set up Localhost server?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by 10smom, Jan 8, 2009.

1. 10smom macrumors regular

I am newbie web developer. I already have on vbulletin/vbadvance site that is doing well but I need to learn a lot for editing the millions of templates that are in the admin cp.

I also have other ideas for community websites so I have decided to learn web development and do myself instead of hire out.

I have Web design CS4. that we got with educational discount with Son's id. when we bought his new macbook.

I am slowly learning through lynda.com and other videos.

My question is. I am not sure if I should use localhost server. or my hostgator server for liveview.

If local host server can someone direct me to step by step instructions on how to set this up?

I am getting ready to get the new 17inc unibody pro so I guess instruction that would apply to this computer. Thanks for the help

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. 10smom thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link! anyone know why the download link does not work on that site? Thanks

4. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

5. Trip.Tucker Guest

There are some issues with MAMP. You'll find XAMPP is a better distribution of Apache + MySQL etc. ;)

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Works fine for me. You sure you're clicking on the right link?

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Some people have issues with XAMPP too ;) I've had better results with MAMP though, but individual mileage may vary of course.