how to set up security pass on airport express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sdao, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Sdao macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if someone could give me a quick run through of how to set up and protect my airport express connection with a password?

thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In AirPort Admin Utility, click Change Wireless Security, select WPA2 Personal and put a password into the two boxes showing. Apply the changes to the base station and you should be set. Have you run the AirPort Setup Assistant? :)

3. Sdao thread starter macrumors 6502

When I run the AirPort Setup Assistant I get this error...

"In order to use the AirPort Setup Assistant your AirPort card must be enabled and AirPort needs to be turned on and set to use DHCP. Click OK if you would like to change these settings, or Skip if you would like to configure AirPort Base Stations using ethernet."

and when I click ok it says

"There was an error communicating with your AirPort card. Please make sure it is installed properly and try the AirPort Setup Assistant again."

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of Mac do you have? In System Profiler, is your AirPort card being recognised? :)

5. Sdao thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got a brand new SR MBP 2.4 ghz

Under AirPort Card in sys profile it says...

" Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.1.8.5
    Current Wireless Network: Daniel's AirPort
    Wireless Channel: 11"

Although, my locale is Canada...

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, don't worry about the Canada/USA thing. It seems even Apple can't tell you two apart. :p

Is the Express very close by? According to what you posted, the AirPort is already set up in which case you just need to use AirPort Admin Utility in the Utilities folder to enable the security settings.

7. Sdao thread starter macrumors 6502

I followed your instructions an added a password, thanks for the help...

as for the utility, i guess i had already went through with it...

one more question, i've downloaded iStumbler (to read my wireless connections and see how strong they are). My airport express (less than 10 feet away from me) is averaging between 60-70% signal with 9% noise. This seems pretty weak to me, should i return it? I bought it less than a week ago.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Excellent. Try changing the broadcast channel with AirPort Admin Utility too. Different channels experience different levels of interference from various sources, so a different channel might get you better reception. :)