how to set up time machine after moving library to external drive?

whohasaquestion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Specifically, I moved the iPhoto library to Time Capsule hard disk to save disk space on my macbook air. But now how do I tell time machine to backup library stored on time capsule? I find it odd that the time machine preference only gives you option to exclude items for backup. How do I "include" items for backup?

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
What drive are you backing up to in TM? If you are backing up the the same Time Capsule you moved the library to then there is a problem with that logic.

whohasaquestion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
TM is backup to Time Capsule as well. It may sound like a problem but TM backup is saved as a spardle (sp?) file so it shouldn't interfere at all. I do have an external HD connected through USB to Time Capsule...I guess I can move the iPhoto Library to that external HD...but will TM backup the external HD? How does it work? I just simply need to move the library off macbook air and still have it backup regularly.

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
So, your backup is only to allow you to recover from a mistakenly-deleted file? The flaw in your thinking is that your backup will then be stored on the same physical drive as your original file, if that drive fails EVERYTHING is gone.

whohasaquestion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
So, your backup is only to allow you to recover from a mistakenly-deleted file? The flaw in your thinking is that your backup will then be stored on the same physical drive as your original file, if that drive fails EVERYTHING is gone.
Alright, so move to the external HD it is then.

However, how do I tell time machine to backup that external HD? It's connected to Time Capsule (in the living room) through USB.

ColdCase

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Alright, so move to the external HD it is then.

However, how do I tell time machine to backup that external HD? It's connected to Time Capsule (in the living room) through USB.
You can't do it, only drives directly connected to the Mac can be included in the TM backup. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup one network drive to another network drive.

whohasaquestion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
You can't do it, only drives directly connected to the Mac can be included in the TM backup. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup one network drive to another network drive.
Alright, that's very cumbersome.

Let's say if I want to restore the library from TM, can I choose the destination path? or only allowed to restore to the original location?