How to set up wireless internet Comcast

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Amnak, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

Hi everyone my family just switched from Verizon Fios to Comcast and we don't know how to set up our wireless routers. A long time ago we had DSL so the routers we have are Linksys wirless-G WRT54G both of these routers are already password protected. The bigger issue when is when I plug the ethernet cable from my modem to the router and click the router's name in Airport it says failed to open page any ideas thanks in advanced?!.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It only helps if you click on them and read. Can't help you with that.

3. nrajack macrumors member

First off, if you switched from FIOS to Comcast (a stupid move, but that's another story) you should have been given a new router from Comcast. And if you did, when Comcast did the install they should have setup the router and given you a manual so you can set it up with your computer. That, and there's probably something on the Comcast (actually you have, or should have, their Xfinity deal) website that shows how to setup your routers.

Additionally there's a wealth of material on Apple's site that can help you. You just need to go there and LOOK. You can't go through life asking other people to do your work for you. Besides, if you find out how to set things up yourself than when the system fails in the future or has problems (and believe me it WILL fail) then you'll know how to fix it.

4. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks snarky i was just so unaware of hot to click and read.:rolleyes:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No problem. We all learn sometime! :D

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

There is a wealth of information at the link I posted for you. If you clicked it and read it, you'd probably be able to solve your problem easily.

7. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

The switch was cheaper and it's only temporary in 3 months time Fios considers us new customers again... actually I did LOOK but there are several things that did not pertain to this situation I found it best to just reset the router. Now I'm just figuring out how to password protect it !

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Comcast does offer a free router for $9.99 - you pay for shipping. I have Comcast and their free router - the good thing about using their router is they will help you when there is a problem. That was important for me since it was my first wireless router - and I did have some problems setting it up and then again a few month after that.

I know the above doesn't help your current problem but it is something to consider. Also, I can say that I have no problems with my MBP two rooms away from their router, nor do I have problems with Comcast in general and I have been with them about years

Here is a link to the Comcast Wireless Router
    https://www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter/

9. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm good to know they didn't tell us that lucky i was able to set it up :)

thanks everybody

10. nrajack macrumors member

So you're own of those that switches providers so you can get cheap rates. Guess brand loyalty means nothing to you (or quality of service provided - Comcast/Xfinity is horrid). Cheaper doesn't mean squat if you can't get it to work right. Bet you're also a warez user.