How to Set Up Your New AirPods

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 25, 2017.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

You know, despite these issue, I’d buy them again in a heartbeat if I lost them/destroyed them. Crazy, right? They’re that good (alas).

2. gijoeinla macrumors 6502a

These are awesome. The tag line “they just work” applies perfectly here. Brilliant. I’m stoked that I’m getting an LTE Apple Watch in days. Perfect pairing :)

3. kstotlani macrumors 6502

But the article says it’s magic.

4. nicho macrumors 68020

Meaning if you see these messages, you got shafted and they’re not as new as you think!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2017 ---
    There is a way, it’s “not sharing the same iCloud account between two people”.

What is it that makes you do that, that you couldn’t achieve with family sharing?

5. sinsin07, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017

sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Addendum
    There SHOULD be a guide for when the above happens:
    EDIT: 6.) Learn the warning signs of when a product is not going to work out for you and give it up.
    7.) To instruct consumers how to return product when it causes so much frustration.

6. Pezboy macrumors member

Pezboy

You sound like my wife, after getting myself a pair a few weeks after they first were released and concluding they were apples best product in years I bought her a pair for her birthday a few months back, thinking that she too would be in love with them. Well, to my dismay she is constantly complaining about all of the myriad of issues that they have, and how they never work correctly (she does this with all of her consumer electronics, and the end results are always the same). So I’ll trade her for a day with mine that I know for sure have no issues, and I’ll take hers, I’ll go theoughout the day with zero issues, and she will have the same issues with mine (many of the problems you’ve mentioned) so we will switch phones quick SIM card swap) and try that. Same thing. She has issues and I have none. She goes through the same thing with all electronics, she claims they are riddled with issues, but non are reproducible while I’m around. My conclusion, she is dumb when it comes to magically simple tech, and should have been born 100 years early where she would have been safe with the tech that existed back then.

7. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

Describes exactly how flaky the connection is with these things. My MacBook drives me crazy connecting and disconnecting. Love em but hate em.

8. skillwill macrumors 6502

Got some yesterday. Love them, the reviews and photographs don’t do them justice, as people have said you have to see and feel them for yourself.

Just to note, my set up on my iPhone 8 turned out to be exactly as described in this article (inc. holding the button). Maybe people complaining it’s wrong have forgotten their very first set up?

9. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Never make a purchase decision based on some random guy on a tech forum.

10. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

pnoyblazed

these were a hit among my kids, they made great stocking stuffers

11. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

12. WilliamG macrumors G3

Agreed. But as I've said even AFTER complaining about the AirPods, when they work they're fantastic, and they're STILL worth the price of admission - easily. They really are Apple's best product in years, but they need a lot of work on the software front.

13. az431 Suspended

az431

It is not necessary to hold the button to pair them to an iPhone.

14. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

I may be the only person I know who brought them back to the Apple Store for a refund. Audio quality is no better than ear pods, and for me...that actually matters.

15. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

Sure thing Tim Cook.

;)

16. darknyt macrumors 6502a

There are whole threads where we have hashed this out. Suffice it to say, Apple’s family sharing isn’t adequate for a lot of people and what we want to do.

17. nicho macrumors 68020

except family sharing has come along since it began. in terms of itunes purchases, you're not forced to use family sharing even if you do for the rest of icloud (as itunes accounts are handled separately). family sharing gives access to shared calendars (but also the option of non-shared ones), shared notes (but also the option of non-shared ones)... you can now also share the same storage. literally the only reason not to use family sharing now is if you have a shared photo library.