How to setup 2 F1 Samsung 1TB HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gaboo, Feb 17, 2008.

1. gaboo macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've just ordered two of these for use with my incoming Mac Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102
    ( SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 32MB/cache)

I have searched the forums, but I want to make sure this setup makes sense as I'm new to Mac's (first since the original imac hah).

1. I was considering the following setup:

Drive 1: 250GB partition for OS/Apps, 750GB for data/parallels
    Drive 2: 250GB partition for SuperDuper boot drive, 750GB for time machine
    Drive 3: Stock drive bootcamp

A. Will this setup lose performance from having os/apps on the same physical drive as data? Or are those benefits generally drive speed only?

B. Is it cleaner to have parallels or vmware images on their own partition?

C. Would it be a lot better to just use Raid1 for the two samsungs and then time machine to an external?

2. I'm a Mac Noob. Once I get these drives, if I do partition each drive - at what point do I do this? Before/Upon/After reinstall of OSX (take the stock boot drive out after DOA test?)?

Any tips in either area are much appreciated! Happy to be joining the Mac community =).

2. snagitseven macrumors member

Here's my setup w/3 F1 1TB and 1 500GB WD drives:

1: system boot, apps - 600 gb; bootcamp 400gb (might add parallel or VMware later)
    2: all data and photos (I'm a photographer) 1TB
    3: Cloned back up on 3 partitions for boot, data and photos -500 GB WD drive
    4: Time machine - 750 gb, CS3 scratch 250 gb
    250GB external firewire HD: system safety boot clone; PC clone from work laptop

A. Apps should prob be on same partition as system to avoid any issues.
    B. I'll leave this one to the experts
    C. Raid 0, while faster, can add some risk - 1 drive down and all data from both drives is gone. Other backups can mitigate that but still...I'm passing for now. In every day use, while faster, a Raid isn't going to speed up my work flow by much.
    Eventually, I'm going to get a 1TB external drive (or case for one of my internals) to offload Time Machine from the computer. It spreads the risk by not having all the drives in the computer. I'm sure I'm being too paranoid but it would make me feel better.