Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happycadaver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Germany
Since the (Windows) netbook of my wife died last week, we are going use the iMac together in the future.

My wife has an iPad and therefore her own Apple ID. The iTunes library doesn't contain anything from the Store and is located on an external hdd stack.

I have made a new user account for her, but the next steps i'm not sure about.

Is it possible that we use the same iTunes library, but keep our Apple ID? What about the photo app?

Is there anything else i have to keep in mind, when sharing the iMac with a 2nd user?

Thank you in advance!

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The general setup is to place the iTunes folder in the Shared folder. You can also place the photo library here.

Close iTunes then move the whole folder structure to Shared. Then open iTunes and direct it to the new location under Advanced Preferences.

Each user on the same mac can use their own apple ID and for the most part act as if it were single user.

You should keep in mind that folders that you have created inside of your user folder in addition to the default standard ones will be accessible to other users unless you explicitly revoke that permission.
Defaults: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures
Public is also present but it accessible to others.

Some suggest to set your user folder to no access to others but this often results in other issues.

Another big problem will be if you are both logged in and attempted to read/write/modify the shared iTunes library or photos. So just close the apps when switching users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.