How to setup airport extreme and ps3 ?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Can somebody explain to me how to set this up

I have the ps3 hooked up to the airport extreme (5th)via Ethernet
I get disconnected from the ps3 network when ever i go into the network settings of the ps3

And the first network test i do on the ps3 after changing a setting i get
Download 32mb
Upload 7mb

After this every other speed test i do gets me
Download 7mb & below

What settings do i have to change on the ps3 or airport extreme for the network to stay connected at the best speeds 25mb & up

I didnt have this problem with a dlink router

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Ok i did that , on the. First network testi get 32mb download
On the second test it logs me out of psn & i get the 7mb download

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok i did that , on the. First network testi get 32mb download
On the second test it logs me out of psn & i get the 7mb download
Hmm... I don't know what to say. :confused: DMZ pretty much bypasses everything and just passes the connection through, so you should be good.

Can you swap the DLink back in and see if the problem goes away.

Myself and many other use Airport Extreme/Time Capsules with PS3 and have no problems, so there is no inherent incompatibility there.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does the ps3 ip have to be the same as the one you put in IPV4 ?
I'm not sure what you are asking. By following the procedure to put the PS3 in the DMZ you are telling the router to always give the PS3 the same IP address and then also assign that IP address in the DMZ. You don't need to manually set an IP anywhere by doing this.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
What do you have upstream of the PS3? Is it just a modem or is it a combo modem/router? How is your Extreme set up? (DHCP server or bridge?)

For the record, I too have an Extreme and PS3 (and even have it double NATed behind an ISP modem/router... yes I know, I shouldn't...) and it's working fine.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
I'm not sure what you are asking. By following the procedure to put the PS3 in the DMZ you are telling the router to always give the PS3 the same IP address and then also assign that IP address in the DMZ. You don't need to manually set an IP anywhere by doing this.
In the instruction it says put your desired ip address under ipv4

Am i suppose to put the ps3 ip in there?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
What do you have upstream of the PS3? Is it just a modem or is it a combo modem/router? How is your Extreme set up? (DHCP server or bridge?)

For the record, I too have an Extreme and PS3 (and even have it double NATed behind an ISP modem/router... yes I know, I shouldn't...) and it's working fine.
Im using a Comcast modem just for internet not a phone combo

The airport extreme is connected to the modem & the ps3 to the airport extreme

My question is after following the instructions on that page do i need to change the settings in the ps3?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My question is after following the instructions on that page do i need to change the settings in the ps3?
Ah... gotcha. No you don't need to change anything in the PS3. The DHCP reservations method you setup in the router will give the PS3 the same IP address all the time just as if you had manually entered that IP in the PS3 itself.