how to setup apple media server?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ka-spot, Nov 15, 2013.

1. ka-spot, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

ka-spot macrumors 6502a

TV and speakers connected to Mac mini to listen to music (24 bit/96kHz) and watch movies.

What can replace the mac mini? Is there a cheaper way to accomplish this?

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Assuming you're dealing with iTunes library, the obvious answer is an Apple TV. There are other options available depending on the source of your media, we just need more info.

3. ka-spot thread starter macrumors 6502a

My music files are FLAC and WAV. My movies are any video format from the internet (torrents). I'm not using iTunes. Currently I'm using VLC + Foobar on windows laptop and VLC + Vox/Cog on my MBP.

4. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Mini would continue to host data or you are looking for a totally new setup?

Once your library gets large enough, your going to need some serious space, which adds the worry of protecting that data.

5. ka-spot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have the mini. I give it as a example of what I want to achieve.

I don't need much space, because I delete movies after I watch them. I need max 1TB for all the music.

6. geoffpalmeruk macrumors regular

geoffpalmeruk

I have a 2005 Mac Mini with 4TB external storade connected via 2x 2TB hdds (USB) and that streams via the itunes client to my Apple TV. server can sit quietly in my office while watching TV / listening to music on my apple TV. The added bonus of apple TV is airplay so i can screen share / stream music from my iphone and macbook

7. dbanderson1 macrumors member

Lots of ways

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048...-windows-8-home-theater-pc-for-under-500.html

Any cheap windows box similar to the mac mini will do this ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/eMachines-EL1352G-01w/15062989 ). This assumes you want iTunes. From there I would run Plex (http://www.plexapp.com) to any number of devices, a roku box being the cheapest. So essentially you can save some money by going with a windows machine and roku box. It also will stream to PS3/XBOX but it won't have the same nice plex interface.

I'm running Plex on my mac mini and love it as a media server.... but I also use my mac mini for a lot more, not just streaming .... so if you are just going to set it into a corner and forget it make sure it is cheap, energy efficient and quiet.

----------

I just noticed you have a macbook... you can always run Plex on that too and just store your videos on an external HDD.

8. awair macrumors regular

Look at the QNAP multi-bay NAS, if you don't need iTunes.

Some models have HDMI. Plex can be installed, along with other goodies, for a Multimedia setup.

9. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

If you use Plex Media Server, any DLNA compatible device will work. Right Now I stream from My IMAC running Plex server to my Dish Network Hopper using the Home Media Option and it works fantastic.