How to setup find my iPhone properly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ashenfang, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ashenfang macrumors member

So I'm trying figure out how to setup find my iPhone correctly with multiple devices. My family has 3 iPhones and 2 iPads. Each device is setup to use the same Apple ID for App Store purchases but each has its own iCloud ID (so that contacts, iMessage FaceTime ect. are unique and separate from one another)

How to I make it so that on any of these devices, I can "see" the others through find my iPhone ?

2. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Is the Apple ID they're all using is your ID? have you tried logging into iCloud to see if they pop up? Assuming they all have the Find My Iphone app running, they should pop up.

3. ashenfang thread starter macrumors member

Right. The Apple ID (used for purchases) is mine, and plugged into each of the devices as the purchasing ID for App Store. Their respective iCloud apple ID's are unique

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What you want (the ability to fully track multiple IDs easily in one place) isn't totally possible.

You have two things you can do to basically get what you want:

1) Use Find My Friends for basic finding. That's exactly what it's for.

2) When you need Find my Phone's actual features (like remote wipe, sound playing, etc) you can use the Find my Phone app on your phone but you'll have to log in and out of it as each individual person as needed.

That's not the all-in-one solution you wanted, but between those two options you'll find pretty everything is covered. Find my Phone should only be needed when the phone is actually lost so hopefully it won't come up that much if all goes well.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Exactly what Small White Car said. In fact, me and my partner's phones are signed into each other's Find My IPhone account, because that's how we end up using it. I lose my phone, I sign into my account on my partners phone, and vice versa.