How To Setup Hard Drive Partitions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fazzl, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I just got a 2TB external. My laptops hdd is 500gb. I plan to use Time Machine and Super Duper for backups. How would you setup partition sizes?

I'm thinking 500gb for Super Duper.
    1TB For Time Machine
    Remaining 500gb for misc files?

2. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

you want time machine and super duper on the same drive? i could be wrong but i would think that is a bad idea if your drive fails you don't have a backup.
    i would think super duper should be on a different hard drive.

3. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Ok, so if I should do one then, because I only have 1 hdd, then should I go with time machine or super duper?

4. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

i've never used super duper so im not familar with that but it has a scheduler just like time capsule. so either one should work fine.

5. Fazzl, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Ok I think Super Duper will be the better option. So 1 500gb partition for backup, and 1.5 TB free?

6. mrklaw macrumors 65816

No. If you only have one HDD, do 500 GB for super duper and the rest for time machine (or 500GB for misc files if you like)

Yes it's better to have two drives in case of failure, but the time machine backup is useful for getting back earlier versions of files, and for when you eventually replace your mac, you can migrate from it. Super duper is good for instantly booting up from if your internal drive fails, and quickly restoring. They do different things and it's good to have both.

But get another little 500GB drive as soon as you can afford it, superduper it and store it offsite (office, relatives house) in case of disaster. No point having a backup if it gets stolen with your computer, or caught in a fire.

7. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Damn thanks. I already partitioned it though, maybe I can still add a partition. I made the super duper partition 750gb but should I make it 500 instead? Will it ever go above 500? I just wanted to be on the safe side.

8. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Using disk utility you should be able to add a partition by splitting one of them

Superduper won't ever to larger than 500GB, its an image of your drive.

9. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I think I may have screwed up. So I made the backup parition resized to 500gb and now I have two empty spaces that I want to be 1 parition, but I can't seem to put them together. This is what it looks like:

[​IMG]