How to setup server/backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Benguitar, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Hello Everyone, I'm planning on getting a MacBook Air next summer when they start shipping with Lion so I want to be prepared for it with my wireless data.

How do I setup a wireless server, and how can I maintain it?

I would like to store EVERYTHING on a wireless disk, While keeping only the most important stuff on the MacBook Air.

However, I would like to be able to access all the other data whenever I may need it, and if possible for it to automatically "smart update" itself.

Here's what I think will be the answer to this.

Use SuperDuper to copy all the information over to the wireless disk (using a cable of course) and then plug the disk back into the airport and set it up.

Then maybe once a week, Go and plug into the wireless drive and run SuperDuper again to "update" the drive.

This way I can access everything wirelessly from anywhere in the world, keep only the necessary files on the new MacBook Air, and have a bootable backup incase my computer is being worked on, I can boot up onto someone else's Macintosh if necessary.

Can anyone else confirm this as a legitimate idea, or is there a better way of doing what I wish to accomplish?

--Benjamin

2. Benguitar thread starter Guest

Benguitar

Since nobody replied, I decided to go ahead with my plan and I have yet to find any problems with it.

Mods may close this thread.