How to setup Time Capsule to backup two computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaulexPC, Jul 22, 2009.

1. PaulexPC macrumors member

I am interested in using a Time Capsule to run Time Machine automatic backup for both computers in my house (Mac Mini and Macbook).

Is this easy to setup for two computers?

The manual says on page 1 that it can do multiple computers, but nowhere else in the manual to they mention how to set it up.

Congratulations on purchasing your Time Capsule. Read this guide to get started. The new Time Capsule offers you the simplicity of fully automated backup for your Wi-Fi network. Using the Time Machine application in Mac OS X v10.5.2 Leopard or later, it’s easy and automatic to back up all the computers on your network to a single Time Capsule.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just set each computer to do a backup to the TC's hard drive. Each backup won't overwrite the other.

3. Testify macrumors member

Is it prefered to partition the HD or it has no impact ?

Thanks.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Time Machine will create a separate file for each computer. No worries and no need to create a partition.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

After you have set up the Time Capsule, make sure you're connected to the Time Capsule's network, then go to Time Machine preferences, and go to Choose or Change Backup Disk. It should then display the Time Capsule drive as an available backup location, confirm your selection and Time Machine will start counting down to its backup. I would definitely suggest you do your initial backup through an Ethernet connection through the TC's LAN ports otherwise you could be waiting a while. Read over this.

6. jcbhammond macrumors member

Gonna Revive This

If two or more computers backup to the same partition on a drive, can the computer/s see the backups from the other computer/s? I have multiple Macs that need backed up through Time Machine but we are worried about privacy issues.