How to setup time machine to work on home network?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BD1, Oct 27, 2007.

1. BD1 macrumors 6502

I have searched these forums and apples sites but can't find the answer. I have an external disk drive attached to one of my macs on my home network. When I try to setup time machine on my laptop (macbook pro) it does not see this disk. What network settings to I need to have set so I can see this drive?

All of my macs are on leopard. When I start the time machine setup with the mac that has the connected disk it sees the disk fine. So I must not have all my network/sharing settings correct. I do see the mac as a shared in finder.

Thanks for any help!

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I don't think you can do Time Machine on a remote drive. I know for sure you can't do it on a Airport Extreme Base on the USB port.

3. BD1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I probably don't understand this....

"Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices."

This is from apples web site. How do I setup personal file sharing or leopard server? Would this allow me to backup to an attached drive?

4. ibook4a macrumors member

It is possible, i'm doing it with my iBook. it took a fair amount of fiddling around initially so i can't give you what settings exactly need to be set

What worked for me was to connect to the external drive in the finder by clicking on the relevant computer and then clicking the relevant hd. it then popped up in time machine 'change disk' options.

hope it works

good luck

5. BD1 thread starter macrumors 6502

ibook4a: I got this to work by following your method of using finder. After doing this it just popped up in TM.

I also had to reformat my disk to be "Mac OS Extended (journaled). Just letting others know in case they are trying to do the same thing.