[How to]- Setup Yahoo! Mail in Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by celticpride678, Apr 5, 2009.

1. celticpride678

I do not have a premium account, but was wondering if that is possible. Once again,

How do I setup up a basic Yahoo! Mail account to Mac Mail.

Thanks.

PS- I do not care if I have to install any other software.

EDIT: If I were to install MS Entourage, would that work??

Any ideas?

2. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

This thread is no longer active. I figured it out. I installed FreeMacPop's and used that to help me through my setup process. Anyways, it is all set and this thread should not get any relies, unless you have any questions about the setup process.

3. givebackbloom macrumors newbie

Can you give a rough description of how you did it?

Thanks.

4. j2048b macrumors 6502a

DITTO to that!!

5. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Sure. Here is roughly what I did:

Install MacFreePOPs and make sure the freepopsd service is running.
    Select Mail | Preferences... from the menu in Mac OS X Mail.
    Go to the Accounts category.
    Click + at the bottom of the Accounts list.
    Type your name under Full Name:.
    Enter your full Yahoo! Mail address (e.g. "example@yahoo.com") under Email Address:.
    Type your Yahoo! Mail password under Password:.
    Make sure Automatically set up account is not checked.
    Click Continue.
    Make sure POP is selected under Account Type:.
    Enter "Yahoo! Mail" under Account Description:.
    Enter "localhost" (without the quotation marks) under Incoming Mail Server:.
    If you run into problems using "localhost", try "127.0.0.1".
    Type your full Yahoo! Mail address ("example@yahoo.com", for example) under User Name:.
    Mac OS X Mail probably has already entered your user name, and it's enough to append "@yahoo.com" to complete the address.
    Click Continue.
    Click Continue again, ignoring the error. We'll take care of that in a bit.
    Make sure Password is selected under Authentication:.
    Leave Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) unchecked.
    Click Continue.
    Select an existing mail server to send mail under Outgoing Mail Server:.
    You cannot send mail through MacFreePOPs. If you have no outgoing mail server through your ISP, you can use a Gmail or AIM Mail account's.
    Click Continue.
    Now click Create.
    Highlight the Yahoo! Mail account in the Accounts list.
    Go to the Advanced tab.
    Enter "2000" (not including the quotation marks) under Port:.
    Close the Accounts window.
    Click Save.

All set.

PLEASE LET ME NOW IF THIS WORKS. THANKS!

I am having a problem. Can someone attempt to fix this?

When I restart my laptop, the service that MacFreePOP's creates and runs, does not start. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

6. vahn macrumors newbie

my macfreepops can't download yahoo mail anymore

my current version of macfreepops is :
    macfreepops 2.6
    yahoo.lua (i already tried 0.2.1d, 0.2.1e, 0.2.1f, 0.2.1.g, 0.3.2)

i already try to switch to yahoo classic and yahoo new on mail.yahoo.com using safari

it still can't downloaded email to my mac mail.

these are the error messages after i try all version of yahoo.lua and swith to yahoo classic and yahoo new on mail.yahoo.com using safari

Sat Oct 24 05:10:20 2009 freepopsd: ERROR(log_lua.c, 70): (@src/lua/yahoo.lua, 542) : [err@917] *** ERROR!!! COULD NOT DOWNLOAD A VALID HEADER!, last header=
    Sat Oct 24 05:10:20 2009 freepopsd: ERROR(log_lua.c, 70): (@src/lua/yahoo.lua, 542) : [err@904] *** INVALID e-mail header! i=3, err=nil, headers=

anyone have solution????

7. Nick G macrumors member

Thanks so much for this thread. I've been having the same problems as the OP. I've just followed the above instructions and it's now working :D Just took a while before it started transferring.

So do I have to open MacFreePOPS every time I want to check messages on Apple's Mail or does it work without it?

8. kwheaties macrumors newbie

Macfreepops isn't working with Yahoo! I have followed the guide exactly, but I always get a timeout error. I have tried 10.5.8 and 10.6.2.

Anyone have this working????

9. Zuniari macrumors newbie

My Mail program keeps downloading read messages from yahoo already downloaded!

My Mail program every day retrieves the new messages from my yahoo account and also the old ones, the ones which were already downloaded. Results: I have to delete every day around 200 messages!

I'm using Macfreepop's to connect to my yahoo account, and i have an iPhone synchronized with my yahoo account.

What I understood is that my iPhone is perfectly synchronized with my yahoo account. If I have 2 unread messages and 8 read messages on my iPhone, I will also find 2 unread messages and 8 read messages on my yahoo account.

The problem is that everyday my mac Mail program downloads all the content of my yahoo mailbox, all the messages, read and unread, classifying all of them as "New".

Why my Mail program doesn't understand which are the new messages and which are the old ones? Why it doesn't understand which are the messages that have already been downloaded?

Please help! On google I cannot find anything about it!!!

Thanks a lot xx :)

10. kwheaties macrumors newbie

Can you share your settings? I'm using Macfreepops, but can't get any Yahoo email because it always timeouts. I think it's not connecting, but I've followed all the guides around here exactly... thanks.