how to share a prewired ethernet connection wirelessly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lovemymac89, Sep 20, 2010.

1. lovemymac89 macrumors newbie

So I have just moved into a new flat in the centre of Sheffield UK. We are in the process of sorting out the best internet connection possible and it seems to be the pre wired connections that are in the bedrooms which are at 50Mb/sec... great. BUT! We want to share this wirelessly and as the only connection is via this walled socket (See attached photo) I don't know how to do it.

It is not a standard BT wall socket but instead is something that an rj45 cable can plug into. Currently I have set up a wireless network by putting an rj45 cable from the wall directly into my mac mini and have set up internet sharing however this means that if I wanted to move or turn off my computer the wireless network would be lost!

I have tried already connecting a current wireless router that I have (a Zyxel p-661hw-d1) but there is no dsl connection and therefore no internet.

Would I need a wireless bridge? Just so you know the ISP is called Ask4, google it and you get to the homepage.

Attached Files:

2. garretruh macrumors member

Re:

If it's just an ethernet port, then you should be able to just plug in a wireless router. Don't plug in a modem (which you would use for DSL), it has to be a dedicated router.

3. lovemymac89 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I'm looking at the box now and it has "router" written all over it... but it does not establish a dsl connection still. Don't know if this helps but the supplier uses optical cables to connect to the apartments

Attached Files:

4. garretruh macrumors member

Re:

Couldn't quite see the make and model. Could you provide that? Thx

5. lovemymac89 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a zyxel p-661hw-d1 if you click the photo it will make the picture bigger and then you can read it from there... but I have just had a thought... The input to this router is DSL as you can see from the photo (the grey input on the left) and not a standard ethernet cable... so if I were to purchase a router that allows input via an ethernet cable such this... (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Cis...1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1285030466&sr=1-3 ) would this work?

Attached Files:

6. garretruh macrumors member

Re:

Yep. The one you're trying to use is a DSL modem and router in 1. The router you linked to will work perfectly for you.

7. lovemymac89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thank you very very much for your help! I can now go to sleep (its 2:10am) and I have been deliberating this for hours now only to go a full circle and find myself back where I began and where I thought I was... oh dear!

Thank you so much!