How to share apps with family members

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by liptonlover, May 22, 2009.

1. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

This is sort of a niche situation, but someone may find it helpful.

My parents share an iTunes account, but I have my own. All three of us have Touches/iPhones. Since their account is my master account or something like that, I'm able to put any app purchased through their account onto my Touch. But when I tried putting my apps on their iPhone and Touch, it didn't work. I can't remember the exact problem but it has to do with incompatible device and iTunes account. Well, being like I am, I determined to figure out how to get around it and I did. Here's what you need to do to get an app from one account onto an iPhone/Touch linked to a different account. You may not find it worth it except for bigger purchases, but I'll leave that to you to decide.

1. Open iTunes on the computer used to sync the receiving iPhone/Touch.
    2. In the iTunes store, click on the account name in the top right. When asked for username and password, type in the other account that has the desired app.
    3. Quickly sync your iPhone/Touch. Skip backing up, just do the other stuff. This will cause your iPhone/Touch to be synced (temporarily) to the account you just logged into.
    4. After the sync, go to the app store on the device. Download the app you want, which should of course have already been purchased through that account. Type in the password, it will tell you it's already been downloaded. Tell it you want to download it again.
    5. Once it's finished, don't delete it unless you're sure you don't want it anymore or else you'll have to repeat the process.
    6. Go back to iTunes on the computer and log back in to the original iTunes store account. Sync your iPhone/Touch, and you're done!

I have done this twice so far, both times successfully. If you have problems, please post so people know but as far as I can tell it's a surefire method.

Nate

2. Fe1 macrumors regular

So common sensical, I'm surprised no one figured it out before. Thanks, Nate!!