How to share build schemes in a git repo?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Duncan C, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Duncan C, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

(Also posted to the Apple dev forums, to the sound of crickets. Sorry for the duplicate post of you frequent both locations...)

Our company has quite a few apps for Mac and iOS that have a number of build schemes. Some of our projects include command-line tools to build components that go into the project.

We often have 4 or 5 different build schemes for a project (debug, ad hoc, app store, invoking command line tools with different launch parameters, etc.)

We use git with repositories hosted on xp-dev to manage our source repositories.

Build schemes do not get included in the repository. Each person who checks out a project has to manually create all the schemes. This is especially problematic for projects that we're doing for clients. After they check out a project on a new machine, we have to screen-share with them and set up the schemes for them, which is tedious and error-prone.

I check the "share" button in the scheme editor, but it doesn't change anything.

We do use a .gitignore file to keep user-level files out of the repository, but I don't think that is the problem. After checking share in the Manage Schemes sheet, I can see the schemes in the xcshareddata>xcschemes folder, but those files are not added to the repository.

What is the secret to getting Xcode build schemes checked into a remote git repository?

On a related subject, is it possible to specify launch arguments to an app that are based on environment variables? A project we're building for a client includes a command-line tool that we want to be able to run from Xcode. I'd like to be able to pass it the names of a couple of folders inside the project, using the project folder name as the root of the path. Can you do that? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

EDIT: I just answered the second part of this question myself. It seems that the "Arguments Passed On Launch" items support environment variables like the rest of the build process. I added a parameter

Code:
    "${PROJECT_DIR}"/iCaverns_new/Images/Images\ for\ tiling
    As an argument to my image tiling command line utility. That causes it to expand "${PROJECT_DIR}" to the current project dircetory, which is exactly what I need.

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

You'll need to go into the "Manage Schemes" view and check off the 'Shared' checkbox ('Product' menu -> Scheme -> Manage Schemes...). That will create the shared scheme files. Next, you'll need to make sure the files are not ignored by git. You'll need to remove 'xcshareddata/xcschemes' from your ignore file and add them to the repo (or just use 'git add -f MyProject.xcodeproj/xcshareddata/xcschemes').

Edit:
    Not enough coffee yet. Looks like you got 90% of the way there, you just need to add and commit the 'xcshareddata/xcschemes' path to the repo