How to share files between 2 macs over wifi?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Greg_C, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Greg_C macrumors member

I've searched both Macrumors and the web in general looking for a step-by-step way to do this but still don't understand how to share files between my sister's new MacBook and my MBP...I've enabled the Personal File Sharing service in System Preferences, as well as AppleTalk in the network settings. When I go to Network > My Network I see my sister's MB's name (the new one I gave it as well as the old default name as well, this seems odd). When I try to connect I'm prompted for a user name (already filled in with my name) and password. Do I have to set up some kind of an account on my sister's MB to connect to it? Sorry for being so clueless on this, I've managed to figure out almost everything Mac on my own but this is really confusing me... Ironically I was able to connect to my mom's PC under Network > (Her PC's Workgroup Name) without any trouble or a second thought; I didn't even have to enter a password. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, when you connect to the other mac you have to login to it just as you would if you were sat at that mac directly. So you need to know a username and password of the mac you are trying to access.

3. Greg_C thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply, but...

Ok so I either have to create an account for myself on her computer (and only access files in that account) or know her password (to access her files)? Is there any other way to share files over the network without using each other's passwords or creating unnecessary accounts? This seems somewhat un-Mac-like. Thanks again.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You should be able to log into their machine as a guest which would give you limited access to their machine. There's no other way, how would you like it if anyone on your network could access the files on your machine without having to log in, a bit of a security risk isn't it.

5. Greg_C thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks for the additional info. I agree it would be a security risk, but needing to give out your password doesn't sound too fun either, and I don't want to create an account I'll never use on her personal computer. I guess I'll just see what the Guest account allows me. I'm not objecting to your information/advice (which is much appreciated), just the fact there's not a different implementation of this. For example maybe being able to set a separate password just for file sharing on her machine to allow me to access her shared files and vice versa. This way we wouldn't be giving away our personal account passwords which obviously give us access to changing many other settings. Do you happen to know if Printer Sharing is any easier?