How to Share Files between iBook G4 and MacPro Wirelessly

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vja4Him, Nov 28, 2010.

1. vja4Him macrumors member

vja4Him

How can I share files between my iBook G4 and my MacPro, wirelessly?

I've been searching online for instructions, and haven't found anything yet ... Also did a search using the Help files, but still no luck.

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

if the ibook and mac pro have bluetooth you can do it that way (slow bu t it works) or the best way is to hook them up to the same wireless network and connect via server. (finder, connect to server, then put in password etc.). Both machines need to be set to share files though (somewhere in system pref iirc). after that when you open a finder window, on the left side panel under shared computers the other one should be there, click and connect as 'username' on the other comp easy.

3. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

We are using the D-Link 655 router.

File Sharing is turned on for both iBook G4 and MacPro.

I've tried Go, Connect to Server several times. Get an error message, "Connection Failed, The server does not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again."

4. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

Ok, I think I've found my MacPro from my iBook G4, but when I click on my folder, I get an error message telling me:

"The folder "vja4Him" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges."

So, how do I get access privileges to open the folder .... ???

5. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

in your Mac Pro, go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing, choose "vja4Him" folder and set Users: "Everyone" to "Read Only".

Once you complete the above steps, you should be able to see the contents of the "vja4Him" folder from your iBook

Good Luck.

6. silby101 macrumors member

The above instructions should work just fine, as I'm doing the same thing with my new hex running 10.6.5 and my iBook G3 running 10.4.11, and the difference between OS versions doesn't affect file transfers at all.

7. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

Ok, I did that, but now how do I actually see my MacPro on my iBook G4?

8. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

On the Finder menu, click Go > Network. You should see your Mac Pro in there. If you don't see your Mac Pro in the list, click Go > Connect to Server > afp://enter-the-ip-address-of-your-mac-pro and press Connect. It should ask you for a username and password.

Good Luck.

9. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

Go > Network doesn't work. When I choose Go, then Network, nothing happens. I've tried rebooting numerous times, but this function does not work on my iBook G4.

I remember the last time I tried this, it didn't work. There was a work-around solution so I could network my iBook G4 with my MacPro, but I have forgotten how to do this .....

10. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

I've tried Connect to Server many times, but keep getting this error message:

"Connection failed. The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again."

I've checked, double checked, triple checked, the server IP. It is correct, and obviously, it does exist! Or else I would be posting online to this forum!

This is very frustrating, to say the least. Is it possible that the iBook G4 and the MacPro are no longer compatible with each other? They were only a few months ago .....

11. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

i hope you are entering a private IP address and not a public IP address.

Private IP
    10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

Since you are using a DLink DIR655, you should have a 192.168.0.X IP.

12. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

I am entering the correct IP address:

13. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

14. silby101 macrumors member

What OS do you have on the iBook? On your MP, in System Prefs, with the Check Box on File Sharing, under Options, do you have the check by "Share File and Folders using AFP"? Do you have any Shared Folders in that section?

On my iBook, I have no sharing prefs turned on. I just go to Network which is listed on my Finder sidebar above my HD name, and there, my MP shows up and I can connect to it.
    When I go to the Finder menu, click Go > Network, nothing shows up, and nothing shows up when I open a Finder window and go to the root what shows the HD and Network. Only when I go to Network through the sidebar, am I able to connect to the MP or other connected computers.
    Weird since it works one way, and not the other. So maybe it's not what you are doing, but some weird bug (at least in 10.4 for me).

15. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

How do I ping the IP?

16. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

My iBook G4 is running 10.4.11. Yes, on my MacPro I have the box checked (Share File and Folders using AFP).

There are no Shared Folders in that window, only my name.

I'm beginning to think there may be some kind of bug that is preventing me from sharing files between my two computers ....

I was able to share files about six months ago between the iBook G4 and MacPro, but can longer do that.

17. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

Finally found the solution from Apple Discussions. All I needed to do was enable the Guest Account, and now my iBook G4 sees the MacPro!

18. Pili macrumors regular

Dropbox might be a simple solution as well if your constantly moving files between computers.