How to share files over the internet?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Palleraa, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Palleraa macrumors member

I use OSX Lion on my Mac Mini.

Once a week i record a radioshow which ends up as a ~300MB MP3 file in a folder on my mac. My friend, who lives on the other side of the planet wants to get to this file. How do I manage that? I would prefer not to have any security other than you need the correct IP-adress (or similar). It needs to be using a standard protocol (http, ftp, ?). Any good ideas?

Some sort of online sharing service would also be fine. But it needs several giga-bytes and I dont wanna pay :)

2. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Filezilla server is good.
    Ssh and scp works too.
    I personally used abyss server with passowrded login.

Investigate those.

3. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

Try MediaFire. You have to split files into 200mb parts.

Don't have BS waiting time for non-paying.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What about Dropbox? You get 2GB free, and if the files are 300MB, your friend can just delete them once he copies it to his computer.

5. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree, Dropbox is very useful for sharing/transferring/syncing files between computers.

7. mrmessenger macrumors newbie

How do you send a file to someone others dropbox?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They can share their entire Dropbox folder or just a sub-folder with you, or you can put the file in a sub-folder of your Dropbox and share it with them. When you share with others, Dropbox sends them an email message with a link to the folder where the file is located. The Dropbox site has documentation on how do use it effectively.

9. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Dropbox is great.

And if that isn't enough, there's also SpiderOak (disclaimer: if you PM me for a link I get free GBs…Dropbox too).

Or SugarSync.

I couldn't get by without these services, not only for file sharing but for cloud storage for myself.

Rob

10. Chairman.Jobbie, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

http://sendoid.com/

Sendoid is an on-demand peer to peer transfer system. It makes transferring any size file between two people as simple as clicking a link!

Worth a look - found them today. Seem to fit what you want.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Or, you could just use the same login info and only share those files between you ...

12. Palleraa thread starter macrumors member

Loads of good ideas. I use dropbox alot and actually created a seperate account for this purpose, but 2GB is a bit on the low side. Im gonna take a look at Worm. Preferably it shouldn't require any work on my side once the show is automatically recorded and saved to a folder it should become available to my friend without any software on his end.

Basically a FTP-server would be ideal, but all I can find is alot of over complicated and obsolete server programs. Maybe I should check out FileZilla server again.

13. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

14. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

absolutely fantastic and replaced fileai for me also no file size restriction!!!..i searched for something like this and came up empty a few months ago..

thanks!