how to share "mix tapes" in a digital world?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pna, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pna macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

There must be an obvious answer to this, but I haven't been able to find it searching here or on the internet. I'm used to making friends mixes from CDs I own using music I've imported into iTunes. Long ago I'd give friends actual cassettes, then CDs. Nowadays, most of them don't even have CD players, just ipods.

I'm looking for the easiest, least hassle (to them, and to me) way of getting the music from a playlist into their iTunes library, or at least onto their iPod. The things I'd really like to avoid are:

1) reconversion of songs that have already been turned into AAC once.
    2) any manual intervention at all to rearrange the songs back into their proper order
    3) having to pay again for any of the music that I already own
    4) having to change the settings on their ipod to let it work with my library.

Is there some easy solution to this that I'm missing? Either through apple, or through a third party? How do teenagers make each other mix tapes these days?

Thanks for any advice, this is a problem that's been vexing me for a long time.

2. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

I'm not a teenager by any means, but up until I stopped giving mixtapes out a few years ago this is what I did. I would still give people a tape because I just loved the idea of it. Most people actually did have a means of playing it, but I also included a CD. In order to "force" people into listening to the tape the way I created it in cassette form with crossfading, sound clips, etc. The included CD only had two tracks, an A-side and a B-side. I made 30 minute mp3 tracks of each of the sides of the tape. Recorded them to cassette and then ripped both to a CD. This is pretty elaborate and I'm not sure if it's really what you're looking for, but it's how I did it. While it's true that more and more people don't have CD players. I certainly don't. How many people have computers without CD drives? (Sorry Macbook Air users).

EDIT: After rereading your post I realized that I was doing this with lossless music files ripped from CDs with no DRM protection. I'm not sure if this would work otherwise. And by the way I used Audacity to make the tracks for each side.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I know this thread was made with good intentions but unfortunately it strays across the line we have regarding:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

This is why I have closed this thread. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.