How to share Videos from iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alpha1phi, Jun 2, 2014.

1. alpha1phi macrumors newbie

I downloaded pictures and videos from my camera onto my macbook Pro/iPhoto

How am I able to share VIDEOs via text or email?

I tried dragging/dropping video into email. It attaches - but when people go to watch video - all black

When I click on "share" while in iPhoto - says i am unable to share videos, only photos.

Ideas??

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Maybe export them first?

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Many videos are far too large for text or email, which is why iPhoto disables that. Under OS X Yosemite there'll be a new feature allowing up to 5GB "Attachments" to email but that's not here yet.

In the meantime, share to iCloud - create a photo stream - and put the email of the person/people you want to share with in the "To:" field. It'll post the videos to the iCloud server, and send them an email allowing them to stream it.

Or if it's a small enough video that it actually could be attached to an email successfully, drag the video out of iPhoto onto the desktop, and attach it to an email from there. But many email servers allow no more than a 10MB attachment, there are a few that go as high as 25MB but that's rare.

4. alpha1phi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok = so not being able to email videos is due to email restrictions in general - not an iphoto/MAC issue?

Any idea when OS X Yosemite is coming out?

I haven't set up m iCloud account (will have to read about how it works etc) - but will the person I'm sending it to have to have MAC and/or iCloud account to be able to open/view video?

THANKS!!

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

More or less. It's not impossible to email videos, it's just that they must be either compressed to a small format, or very short in length, or your email system won't handle it.

Sometime in the fall.

No, they don't need iCloud or a Mac. They'll get a web link.