How to share Windows folders with my Mac using Fusion 5?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BryanSchmiedele, Jul 30, 2013.

1. BryanSchmiedele macrumors member

I am running Windows 7 on a MBP running 10.8.4. I want to be able to drop files from within the Mac OS into a specific folder on my VM but cannot seem to figure out how to do it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. jdelgado macrumors regular

You have to enable sharing within your VM settings, and share a folder between the VM and MacOS. You do not mention what VM software you are using, but in VMWare, this can be found in settings/sharing.

3. BryanSchmiedele thread starter macrumors member

I am running the latest version of VMWare. Running Mac OS X 10.8.4.

I did enable sharing. I can share the 6 special folders (well they are not really shared, but mirrored). But I cannot find a way for the Mac to see an arbitrary folder that I designate in Windows.

4. snorkelman, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

in fusion I'm pretty sure the sharing option is 'specified host directory(s) shared with VM' rather than vice-versa

If you're wanting the opposite i.e. share a virtual machines directory with the host, then while the VM is off try setting the network option in the VM's settings to Bridged network (autodetect will do)

Next fire up the VM, once its running and you're in there right-click one of the VM's folders and set up sharing for that folder the normal windows way

if you then toggle back to osx with the VM running you should have the windows VM showing in finder sidebar (you might need to shut down and restart the VM first time you set up a share).

Click on that and once it connects you should have access to the shared folder(s) you set up within the VM. Well, while the VM is running..

Only caveats are that this could be clunky (i.e. not sure how finder will react to the lost share anytime you shut the VM down, or the VM goes to sleep etc)

5. jdelgado macrumors regular

I guess I do not understand what you want to do. I have, for example, mirrored the Desktop. If I create a new folder in Mac OS, I can see it in the VM desktop. On the other hand, if I create a new folder within the VM desktop, I can also see it from Mac OS.