How to show desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, Jul 11, 2008.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

ive been wondering if theres any way to make some keyboard shortcuts universal so they work with full-screen applications. Well, im not much of a gamer myself, but i find it annoying on not being able to switch to desktop to view something while in-game. Some games support the cmd+m or cmh+h command, but many out there just dont. Any way to make those work for everything? or any other suggestions?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Switch to Finder as the active app, then Cmd-Option-h.

4. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

nope, f11 doesnt works.

switching to finder means to use the cmd+tab shortcut, which wont work either..

5. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Go into your keyboard shortcuts and have a look there (in the keyboard pref pane)

Under 'Dock, Exposé, and Dashboard' check the shortcut for 'desktop'

If you have a newer mac / keyboard, CMD + exposé shortcut (F3) brings up the desktop

6. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

well for my mac its the f11 button. But you dont get my point, i know which the shortcuts are, i just cant get them to work universal, like while running a full-screen application

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think you might be out of luck, the fullscreen app may not be able to recognize the shortcuts.

8. H&Kie macrumors regular

In case you've got a new (aluminum) keyboard, does fn+F11 work? Most function keys are now dedicated to e.g. changing sound volume.

This can be overridden by the "fn" button or disabled in system preferences>Mouse and Keyboard>Keyboard

And, as said by pjrobertson, cmd+F3 also works fine

9. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Oh I see now.

How about adding a custom keyboard shortcut JUST for the app you're running (if you give us a name we may be able to help more)...

Are there any menu shortcuts that you know of?