How to show hidden files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zombilly, Mar 23, 2013.

1. zombilly macrumors newbie

I want to mount my iPhone 4 on my desktop and be able to retrieve my music files. I tried using this string in the console but I didn't Have any luck:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUEkillall Finder

Is That the right string? if not, does anyone know what I should be using?

Thanks

2. switon, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: hiding/unhiding files...

Hi zombilly,

I believe that a semicolon was left out of the above "defaults" command line, thus it should be:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES; killall Finder

or to re-hide the normally hidden files:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
    killall Finder
    so you either have to add the semicolon to cause the bash shell to execute first the "defaults" command and then the "killall" command, or you have to include a newline so that these two commands are on different lines, as illustrated in the second example above. The "YES" and "NO" can be also be "TRUE" and "FALSE" or "1" and "0".

You can also hide/unhide just a single directory if you wish, say your Library folder, using:
    Code:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library

or to hide:
    Code:
    chflags hidden ~/Library

Regards,
    Switon

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You can also display hidden files in any Open/Save dialog by pressing <command><shift><period>

You can also use the Go menu in the Finder to type the pathname of any hidden folder, and it will then reveal itself in the Finder.

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

You could also get xtrafinder which lets you set up a keyboard shortcut and menu item to toggle hidden items in Finder as well as a boat load of other useful features.

5. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Actually, you can't view the music (or much) on your iPhone in that way. You need a separate application, such as iExplorer, which is what I've always used.

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

You may have to jailbreak your iPhone to access the music aspect of your device.