Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I want to mount my iPhone 4 on my desktop and be able to retrieve my music files. I tried using this string in the console but I didn't Have any luck:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUEkillall Finder

Is That the right string? if not, does anyone know what I should be using?

Thanks

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: hiding/unhiding files...

I want to mount my iPhone 4 on my desktop and be able to retrieve my music files. I tried using this string in the console but I didn't Have any luck:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUEkillall Finder

Is That the right string? if not, does anyone know what I should be using?

Thanks

Hi zombilly,

I believe that a semicolon was left out of the above "defaults" command line, thus it should be:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES; killall Finder
or to re-hide the normally hidden files:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
killall Finder
so you either have to add the semicolon to cause the bash shell to execute first the "defaults" command and then the "killall" command, or you have to include a newline so that these two commands are on different lines, as illustrated in the second example above. The "YES" and "NO" can be also be "TRUE" and "FALSE" or "1" and "0".

You can also hide/unhide just a single directory if you wish, say your Library folder, using:
Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library
or to hide:
Code:
chflags hidden ~/Library

Regards,
Switon

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You can also display hidden files in any Open/Save dialog by pressing <command><shift><period>

You can also use the Go menu in the Finder to type the pathname of any hidden folder, and it will then reveal itself in the Finder.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
You could also get xtrafinder which lets you set up a keyboard shortcut and menu item to toggle hidden items in Finder as well as a boat load of other useful features.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Actually, you can't view the music (or much) on your iPhone in that way. You need a separate application, such as iExplorer, which is what I've always used.

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

You may have to jailbreak your iPhone to access the music aspect of your device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.