(How-to) Show Memory in Status Bar?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by trajen, Aug 10, 2009.

1. trajen macrumors 6502a

I've seen a few iPhone screenshots with the available memory shown in the status bar next to the time. Is there a way to enable this WITHOUT using SBSettings? I've been searching this forum and Cydia with no luck. :(

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

sbsettings/more options/show memory

but is not really accurate

edit: I didnt read your post lol

I dont think theres another way

but whats wrong with sbsettings?

its running fine on my 3g

3. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had SBSettings installed before and I didn't care for it. Only because I would always seem to activate it when I didn't want to and not be able to activate it when I wanted to.

But if you say the hack isn't that accurate I might as well pass. Thanks either way! :D

4. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I don't really understand why you do not want SBSettings. It works great.

I also disagree that it is not accurate.

However, if you're still adament about it, you can install SBSettings, turn on the memory display, then uninstall SBSettings. The memory display should still stay even without SBSetting there.

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

memoryinfo, memtool and sbsettings all say a different live free memory #

6. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

Of course. This is expected. Each of these occupies a different amount of memory.

7. Che Castro macrumors 603

the difference in numbers is liek one would say

40mb, other would say 25, other would say 30mb

8. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I think each of the measuing program is itself occupying different amount of memory, leaving a different free RAM behind.

Personally I'm not after small differences in numbers. I'm more interesting in knowing if I have 160MB left or just 70MB when my 3GS begins to be be laggy. I would then use SBSetting to terminate some program and release the memory.

Just because it is not "exact" does not mean the information is useless, but that's just my opinion.

Back to the intention of the original poster, who IMO is having difficulty activating SBSetting, you just have to swipe the top bar to bring it up. You could use Home button to exit it, or press the close button (red circle with a cross, althoug it is a little tiny).

I find SBSetting also useful in many other respect other than just showing the memory. To quickly turn on/off stuffs.

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

steve i have a 3g i need to know the correct amount

I dont have extra MB to spare like you guys with 3gs lol :D

if memory runs low my apps crash :(

10. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I have both 3G and 3GS. It is still useful to know whether I have 74MB or just 8MB. It does not matter if it is 8MB or 12MB because in both cases I know I have to do something. It is better than not having that information.

11. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

I really enjoy having my available memory displayed on my status bar. SBSettings is a great program to have to again, quickly turn on and off settings. I can't stand it when I'm using Maps and I don't have Location Services turned on. Just knowing that I have to exit the app, launch Settings, go to General and turn it on makes me not want to use Maps at all because I rarely use Location Services. With SBS this option is just a click away and I don't even have to exit Maps. I really do think that Apple closely watches the scene because Quickgold was all the rage and then the official version became a ported version of Spotlight for iPhone OS. They should add an SBS-like program in the coming updates. People want to customize their phones.

12. superxero3 macrumors regular

Why do you turn location services off? I'm 99% certain it doesn't make a difference (to battery most importantly) whether location services is on or off, if you're not using something that utilizes the location services. Or do you keep it off for other reasons? like not wanting your pictures to be geo-tagged or something along those lines?

13. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

Any service and feature uses up battery power especially if it's a tied GPS feature. Maps is a battery hog if you use it quite often. One of the main reasons why I don't use Location Services is because it nags you all the time and I could care less about geo-tagging my pics, tweets or any other app that utilizes that feature. That's why I love SBSettings. A quick finger flip and it's on when I need it.

14. bokusama macrumors newbie

Reason to be interested

:apple:After playing around with multiple RAM tools, I noticed that SBSettings consumes slightly above 5MB. I'm being picky and want to avoid them, while still having the amount of memory displayed on the status bar. Apparently no current option for that but if you know of any please let me know. :apple: