How to show the whole iPad screen on a TV

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Jose Fajis, May 8, 2010.

1. Jose Fajis macrumors newbie

Jose Fajis

Hi guys,

My teacher in school is planning to give an iPad to the teachers so they can substitute the laptops, but there is one problem. We connect the iPad through the AV Composite adapter and the VGA adapter but it only shows movies. Is there any adapter like the one used in Apple Keynotes that show the whole iPad screen always? Because there are some helpful apps but they can't be seen.

ThankYou:)

2. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I don't think that is possible, unfortunately.

3. arcangel6 macrumors regular

arcangel6

I asked the same question regarding how Steve Jobs made his presentation that showed a 'mirror' of his iPad. I also own the VGA adapter and that WILL NOT permit that kind of mirroring. I'd LOVE to know how Apple did it.....but they remain silent.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Apple simply enables it to work system-wide during keynotes. They could run into some complicated issues if they enabled video output system-wide for consumer use, though. I think there's an app for jailbroken iPads that works well for letting you view a lot of iPad apps through the cables compatible, but I can't find the name. I doubt the teachers would jailbreak their iPads, though.

5. arcangel6 macrumors regular

arcangel6

Yeah, you are probably right. However, I would like the ability show pdf articles, a web site, etc. thru the projector for lectures in the academic setting. I hope it is something that will come down the road. If not, I still love the iPad!

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

There have been a variety of blog posts about the video-out functionality of the iPad. It is on an app-by-app basis. The application needs to provide support for video-out. It's possible that a future update to the OS could provide for mirroring the device's screen to video-out.

7. patp Guest

could be a lot of useful reasons to have video output for everything on the iPad. presentations, meetings, school class rooms etc.

wonder why Apple has decided to lock down this function? is there a potential for hardware or software issues?

if not i don't see why apple has to lock that down. i see more universal applications and thus they could sell more iPads in the business world.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

In one word: Lawyers. And the copyright crazy producers of content that are so afraid that all their stuff is going to end up in the public domain or something. After all, if you can get a video signal out, you can find something to record it on too bypassing any DRM. Not that you can't do that in other ways anyway, but they lock down everything from cable boxes to computing devices. It sucks that their "solutions" get in the way of people getting real work done. But such is the sorry state of things.

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Nice try, but that is not the reason.

10. patp Guest

thanks for your reply. you do hit on many good points.

I'm wondering if they (Apple) are so worried about people copying moves and other content, why they allow iTunes content to be outputted? The same thinking should apply, that if anyone were to output the iTunes videos to a TV, then that content too can be recorded and freely distributed.

My original point is in regards to the application of outputting apps that are useful for business and teaching applications. Not really for videos per se, but if there was an app that a teacher found useful for teaching.

I'm sure Apple has some reason(s) (and your seem plausible too) that will be addressed in future updates.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

He is NOT hitting on many good points, in part, for the reasons you mentioned.
    The DRM/lawyer boogeyman is appropriate for some issues, but not for this one. Apple has stated that support for video-out is on a per-app basis and up to the application developer.

It is more likely a technical reason for not having system-wide support for video-out... like how to deal/handle mirror mode/dual display mode in a consistent way.

12. patp Guest

well, i was trying to be diplomatic about it. but yes i agree the lawyer angle is probably not the real reason.

i do see some great potential for even more sales if they did offer a way to output the iPads apps for teaching and presentation purposes and not lock it down to any exclusive app.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Hey people...if you don't think it is a LEGAL reason, then why? It can't be merely a technical reason. Clearly, it's capable of displaying such things. So it is an artificial limitation that is being imposed here. And artificial reasons almost always come down to a legal reason of some sort.

14. patp Guest

I think it's a combination. But really if they output iTunes videos and those can be copied why lock down the other stuff? The iTunes stuff is heavily protected and if anything movie studio lawyers are the ones to be afraid of.

It's probably another marketing thing, wait for the next update or version 2.

Who knows? Just speculation at this point.

15. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

They don't... Movies with DRM from the iTunes store will NOT play on the iPad over the VGA dongle.

16. jerkstore99 macrumors member

Jailbreak to the rescue. Search for an app in Cydia called "TVOut." It allows you to display any application to a TV with the AV cable. It allows you to go through the apps and select which ones you want to display on your TV.

Must have for anyone who wants to put n64iphone or the MLB app on their TV.

17. macduke Suspended

macduke

And that is precisely why I have never purchased a movie from iTunes. If I buy a thing, I should get to play it on whatever I own, as long as I'm not doing a performance for an audience of people from outside my home or whatever that limit is. Personal use--something the RIAA never understood.

Handbrake FTW.

If we ever get to a point where everything is digital downloads, there's no way in hell I'm going to pay for a copy to play on each thing I own. I'll download one copy, pay them their money, and then download a copy from some torrent on the internet to play on everything else. People are so greedy anymore.

There needs to be a new system / standard. A real standard, not some half-baked POS that screws over the consumer at all cost.

18. rdstoll macrumors 6502

That's an Apple apologist's view, with all due respect. It's ridiculous that we are not able to mirror our screen. To say it's not technologically feasible defies all logic. I was going to use the iPad tomorrow to project a presentation (in PDF form) and went to their store to get the VGA adapter but read all the horrible reviews about how it works only with certain apps. Give me a break, Apple.

19. p-rice macrumors regular

I don't think we can mirror the screen 1:1 from the iPad on TV. It's a hardware limitation. Sure you can probably do this the jailbreak route but at smooth frames per second? Nope. The iPad you see Steve Jobs presenting must be a special dev-only unit or something.

20. patp Guest

That is strange. I plugged my iPad into the apple component cable I sued with my iPod touch and it worked. Video sound etc from iTunes tv shows and movies.

Is there a significant advantage to using the dingle vs the component cable?

21. Gsmoke macrumors newbie

Download the app TVoutTuner from the Rock app. It let's you mirror what you have on your iPad. I'm actually using it right now.