Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Erased my M1 MBA to sell, and I can’t get it to shut down! Every time I hold the power button, it turns off, then turns itself back on. WTF. How do I make it turn off and stay off from this screen?

Attachments

• 22D3C17B-3D72-40CF-AB5F-71F75A0F56D6.jpeg
    22D3C17B-3D72-40CF-AB5F-71F75A0F56D6.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 262

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
After you power it down with the button you can’t touch any keys or open the lid or it will come back on.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
After you power it down with the button you can’t touch any keys or open the lid or it will come back on.
It turns itself back on without me even touching it.

Do I have to close the lid right away? Cuz I’m holding the button and shutting it down (which obviously requires the lid to be open) and it starts up again.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
So I try a force shutdown and closing the lid real fast and then a few minutes later I open the lid and it’s already restarted itself and is back to the Hello screen.

Can I really not turn it off?!

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Nope...

There is no way to shut the computer down without creating a user account.

Way to go Apple.

No this is not true. When I sell a used computer I always hand it over in a state such that the new owner gets the "hello" screen, like a brand new computer. I am 99% certain that I do it with cmd+Q from the hello screen

Reactions: NC12

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
No this is not true. When I sell a used computer I always hand it over in a state such that the new owner gets the "hello" screen, like a brand new computer. I am 99% certain that I do it with cmd+Q from the hello screen
CMD + Q was the first thing I tried, and I tried it many times. It did nothing.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I guess this is one disadvantage of having a powerful and efficient chip: can’t turn off computer at all. Yes, close the lid and the computer SHOULD remain close, but used to be opening the lid we need to press the power button. Now it just goes into deep sleep.

I suggest you erase your Mac a couple more times, each time you try CMD+Q a couple times until it is successful. also serves the purpose of destroying data residue.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I guess this is one disadvantage of having a powerful and efficient chip: can’t turn off computer at all. Yes, close the lid and the computer SHOULD remain close, but used to be opening the lid we need to press the power button. Now it just goes into deep sleep.

I suggest you erase your Mac a couple more times, each time you try CMD+Q a couple times until it is successful. also serves the purpose of destroying data residue.

Thanks, I repeated the erase procedure and it finally allowed me to shut it down.

That is one nice thing about the built-in erase/restore function, it’s super fast. Like 45 seconds. No more taking 30 minutes to reformat and reinstall.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Selling an M1 MBA - such a beautiful machine. I hope the new owner appreciates it!

I know, it kills me... But I re-discovered that my wrists don't like laptops and I get carpal tunnel really easily.

So someday (hopefully soon) I'll get an M2 Mac Mini to upgrade my desktop situation.

But until then I have the M1 iPad Pro to get me by.

Reactions: Thisismattwade

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks, I repeated the erase procedure and it finally allowed me to shut it down.

That is one nice thing about the built-in erase/restore function, it’s super fast. Like 45 seconds. No more taking 30 minutes to reformat and reinstall.
Since all data is encrypted (for FileValt on or always on idk), all macOS need to do is destroy the key and GPT table, and reformat the drive. Done.
Well, at least that's what I heard from somewhere introducing how Apple Silicon reset works.
This makes data backup extra important since recovery would either cost a lot of money or just impossible.

Unowned

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
Hi all, I just found a solution. Pressing Command+Q only works when you go to the next screen (i.e. after you select a language). Before that it doesn’t do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.