how to shut down the mbp when it sleeps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crizal, Jan 29, 2011.

1. crizal macrumors newbie

well, the question is in the subject.. but to be clear: i am trying to calibrate my battery and i saw this part that says that i should shut down the mbp or let it sleep for like some time after it goes to sleep because the battery has been fully discharged.. so i was wondering how this is possible to shut down the computer entirely when its in sleep mode? without awakening the laptop? like in windows, with pressing the power button for like 8 seconds?

2. GGJstudios, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No need to shut it down. Just let it sleep. And yes, you can force a shutdown by pressing and holding the power button, but it's not necessary for calibration. In fact, sleeping is preferred as it will drain the battery faster that way.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. crizal thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, great.. then another question.. when it says "for two hours or longer" or "for five hours or longer", is it ok to let it sleep or drain the battery without ac adapter for far longer than those 2 or 5 hours? i mean is it ok to go to bed? :) since i live in europe and it s like 3 am.. it s now fully charged and i just really cant wait exactly two hours to plug it out.. if it isnt a problem i really need to go to sleep.. can unplug it in the morning and go on with the calibration tomorrow..

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Looks like you answered your own question. To be clear, you leave it plugged in with a full charge for 2+ hours. When you unplug and it sleeps/shuts down, you leave it in that state for 5+ hours. The calibration steps are clearly stated in the FAQ I posted. Follow those instructions exactly and you'll be fine.

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I would suggest leaving it plugged in until tomorrow afternoon, then use it for a few hours, and then go to bed. It can often take a very long time for the computer to completely run out of juice after it has gone to sleep. Especially if you haven't calibrated it for a while.

Basically, you have to leave it unplugged until the glowing sleep light goes out. Then you can plug it back in.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you leave it unplugged for 5+ hours, which could me several hours after the sleep light goes out.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

In summary of last 3 points:
    - Compy goes to sleep
    - Leave for 5 hours or more
    - Plug in and use

I'm saying that my compy often takes much longer than 5 hours for the sleep light to go off. It's not going to be less.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the sleep light is still on, the battery isn't fully drained, so calibration isn't complete. That's why it says "or longer", because the battery needs to be fully drained, no matter how long that takes. The purpose of the calibration process is to completely drain the battery and completely recharge it.